Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Rubber mat under GH Shorty?

I didnt want the GH Shorty rubbing on the hull so I bought the rubber floor mat at Harbor Freight and was wondering if anyone else used this type of floor mat as a cushion. Did it melt or cause problems? Is it a good idea to use this to save the hull and or waterbox from vibration wear?

I had a mat under mine and it melted. I took the mat out now. I don't think that box is going anywhere. It should be secured pretty good with the clamps.

+1
    I run a rubber mat under mine with no problems..As long as you dont have an exhaust issue with getting hot you should have no issues..

+1
    mcmaster-carr.com and order urethane sheet or use some welding cloth between the box and the hull at the back at least..every stock waterbox has the rubber melted a little at the step support in the back. It's interesting why that is..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
    mcmaster-carr.com and order urethane sheet or use some welding cloth between the box and the hull at the back at least..every stock waterbox has the rubber melted a little at the step support in the back. It's interesting why that is..
    Thanks for the info on the mat. Well, I already have the mat from Harbor Freight though. Yeah, I noticed on my stock box it was either worn through or melted at the spot you mentioned.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Larry (Lafjax), used some kind of mat that he highly recommended. I'm sure he will find this and chime in.

+1
    I cut up a mud flap and put that under there, works great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    I didnt want the GH Shorty rubbing on the hull so I bought the rubber floor mat at Harbor Freight and was wondering if anyone else used this type of floor mat as a cushion. Did it melt or cause problems? Is it a good idea to use this to save the hull and or waterbox from vibration wear?
    Yep, did that, also wrapped the shorty with the same stuff. Worked fine for me. No overheating, etc. Made mine fit nice and snug.

+1
    Yup, I saw Larry's wrapped water box and that is what made me think of Harbor Freight for the mat. I just didnít know how it worked long term or what others used. I ended up cutting a piece to fit snug underneath the waterbox and made it just a little longer than the waterbox. I'll check on it periodically to make sure its ok. I think its better than vibrating on the plain hull eventually it would have worn both the hull and waterbox. Now that the GH shorty is no longer being built I didnt want to damage it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Yup, I saw Larry's wrapped water box and that is what made me think of Harbor Freight for the mat. I just didnít know how it worked long term or what others used. I ended up cutting a piece to fit snug underneath the waterbox and made it just a little longer than the waterbox. I'll check on it periodically to make sure its ok. I think its better than vibrating on the plain hull eventually it would have worn both the hull and waterbox. Now that the GH shorty is no longer being built I didnt want to damage it.
    Glue it in Gus...it'll work fine for you!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information