State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar

How do you remove the STARTER on a 96 XP?

Good lord, I feel like I need to be Mr. Fantastic and stretch my arms under the motor.

Is there an easy way to get to the starter on a 95-97'ish XP??? I have a voltage drop off at the starter and can't get consistent start-ups. I have already mangled my arm to hell on the breather/carb assembly - do I need to be pulling all this stuff OFF???

Damn, that's a lot of work to get to the starter.

Banned User
    Take the black plastic intake box off. Open the top lid. Remove the screws holding the flame arrestor on. And then remove the lower plastic box. This should leave only the carbs in the way.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you aught to try the 96XP...its easier to pull the motor than change it with it bolted in the hull

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    you aught to try the 96XP...its easier to pull the motor than change it with it bolted in the hull

Turns out I DO have the 96XP. Original owner blew the original motor and put in an XP.

Yep, had to unbolt the motor and twist it all around in the hull. Got the starter replaced, put it in, over tightened the motor mount, so had to replace that as well. Then had a bad battery....LOL.

So it ended up being a crazy project just to get a starter replaced, and I don't even know for sure now if the starter was bad. I have 8 busted knuckles and cuts all over my arms...and don't know if that was it.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to the busted knuckle club! thats a given with x-4 hulls. make sure that you get the motor aligned before you start it. otherwise you will be putting a new carbon ring on the drive shaft...I found out the hard way

I recall replacing the starter on my '96 XP about 5 years ago......some lost skin, a little blood, and a whole lot of swearing. But, I managed to replace it without taking anything apart or moving the motor. After reading this post, it may have been a greater accomplishment than I thought at the time!

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    welcome to the busted knuckle club! thats a given with x-4 hulls. make sure that you get the motor aligned before you start it. otherwise you will be putting a new carbon ring on the drive shaft...I found out the hard way

How will I know if the carbon ring goes bad?????

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1

Extensions

The starter can be taken out without blood. I use a long extension on my 3/8 drive ratchet to reach the bolts from the rear. It takes some patience, but can be done. The small angle bracket can be a pain also. It can be done. Be careful when removing the red hot wire, that little bolt is fragile. You will know if that carbon ring is bad when you start to get a lot of cavitation. Take that junk out and put in the '95xp thru hull bearing set.

Smile

PS.First disconnect red lead on battery!!!The easiest way to change any seadoo starter is first to remove starter bolts,use a 12"extension and a 6 or8" ext,depending on model,supergle the socket to ext.THen feed it in until you feel it on the bolt remove each one, and then the rear bolt,in reverse install rear bolt first then for installing to keep from dropping the stainless bolt,take a piece of stiff paper wedge it in the socket with the bolt head , not super tight but where the bolt wont fall off, (hence the super glue on socket to ext)then with ratchet connected and pointing up it feed it into bolt hole and get it started by 4 or 5 turns , then getit off and repeat,for other bolt , ps dont forget to use loctite and dont forget to tighten first bolt you just started in hole a few turns,Ps using this method I can change most seadoo starters in less than 15 to 20 minutes ,makes for good profit if you do it for a living,
    Last edited by mrjetskey; 08-05-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Thread Information