+1

Pump Rattle Significantly Worse

I just spent significant time on the water in my rebuild 4-Tec (by me) today. It was great. The ski ran very well, other than a little strange handling which I was able to diagnose as a screwed up OPAS system (right rutter on left side). When we came home to flush the skis (both NA 155 4-Tecs), the one I rebuilt was noticably louder than the other 4-Tec.

I do have the bumper installed on the shaft and the cage in the PTO. So, the only conclusion I can draw (I did go through the pump completely, cleaned up and greased everything) is that I need to loosen the motor mounts and slide the engine backward to tighten up the fit. Am I on the right track on this one, or is there something else I should look into?

+1
    did you make sure part number 4 was installed during your rebuild? Its the rubber plug at the end of the driveshaft

+1
    Yes sir I did. I actually had to wait for it to arrive to finish the rebuild (oil, etc.), that is why I was jumping to the next step of moving the engine back some. After the pump and shaft was fully installed, it did feel like there was more shaft movement than there should be (I am used to them being tight - can't move).

One thing that I also found a little strange on the shaft I found (had to replace due to significant corrosion), was that it didn't have the two o-rings on the shaft (the old one did). It did have the two o-rings in the rear bearing shaft seal. I assumed it was simply an updated design. Could that be at issue here?
    Last edited by thompsdw; 07-19-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Did you use the alignment tool when you reinstalled the engine?

+1
    Oh yea - not that much of a newbie. I purchased the SBT alignment tool. Did the job really well. I was impressed. Carbon ring seems to indicate I did a good job - it is steady as a rock (I know this is a gross measure, but just a check I look for in a bent shaft or bad misalignment).

+1
    Well looking at the diagram Billy provided it looks like it needs the 2 O-rings on the drive shaft..Also are the 2 O-rings in the Hat also?? I know this sounds kinda silly but is the prop torqued properly?

+1
    I think so, torqued to spec and used red locktite. There are two o-rings in the hat and two o-rings on the inside of the rear oil seal (on the boot) of the ski. That is where the two rings on the old shaft design would seal. There was a one digit shift in part numbers from 2002 to 2003 from Seadoo, but the 2003 does not have the o-rings on the shaft. Given that I using the new carrier bearing design, I do not think I could use the old shaft. The key now is to determine if there were any differences in length. Does anyone have any idea?
    Last edited by thompsdw; 07-20-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Thread Information