Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What are the symptoms of trash in the grate?

I cranked up the ski after we feel off into the lake and sounds fine at idle but at 2800 rpms or more it sounds like something is grinding up like garbage disposal. We idled at 1800 - 2200 or 4mph back to the ramp. We had been jumping wake and doing 360's pulling tube the usual. What is the best way to determine what is wrong. I felt around in the intake grate underneath the ski and couldnt feel anything with my hand. The was a lot of trash in the lake today. This is my 1st ski and not sure whats wrong. I bought it used with 23 hours on it and had oil changed to seadoo brand to make sure the other owner had not used synthetic. I hope its not the ceramic washers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

+1
    welcome to the forum. what kind of ski is this?

Unhappy Sorry about that I thought I had that in my sig.

It is a 2007 Seadoo Gtx ltd stock. 31 hours
    Last edited by DeathWish; 07-19-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: adding hours

+1
    Cavitation and Vibration are the two most common symptoms.

Get underneath your ski and with a flashlight, look in your pump inlet. Also look in the discharge side of your steering nozzle and see if there is anything in there too.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Learn to pull your SC and pump off the ski. Send the SC to jerry immediatley. You do not want a failed SC. Were talking $1000's in repair. Take the pump off, only takes a couple of tools and a little know how. If there is anything wrong you will see it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    Cavitation and Vibration are the two most common symptoms.

Get underneath your ski and with a flashlight, look in your pump inlet. Also look in the discharge side of your steering nozzle and see if there is anything in there too.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    Send the SC to jerry immediatley. You do not want a failed SC. Were talking $1000's in repair.
    +1

I was planning to pull SC at the end of summer make that my winter project. I looked in the intake and it was clean but I noticed the prop looked to be a real tight fit in the white shroud not sure what it is called, and it looks to be touching all the way around does this sound right? The back jet nozzle looks clear only a leaf in there. I cranked up for a sec out of the water to see if it would blow it out. It didnt. Going to take it too the repair shop tomorrow too see if they can give me an idea whats going on. I will report back what they say. Thanks for replies and I am going to send SC to Jerry at the end of summer providing the SC holds that long. I have read the failure rate is small and directly related to wrong oil. I hope odds are with me waiting. If its the prop in the intake should I try and have it fixed replace back with OEM or something else?

Deathwish:

I think what you are experiencing when you idle the ski on the trailer is completely normal. There is a metallic rattle when the ski runs on the hose. THIS IS COMPLETELY NORMAL!

That white thing around the impeller is the plastic wear ring. It is normal for the impeller to be very close to the wear ring. That is what you want.

If you are hearing a metallicrattle on the hose, DO NOT TAKE IT INTO THE SHOP, you are wasting money! There is nothing to correct....

Stick in impeller

Ok hes going to take it apart in the morning too see how much damage is done to the impeller. He said he will replace wear ring. And he would try and grind the impeller he said I have 50/50 chance it wont cavitation.

Any advice or suggestion whether I should replace with OEM or remanufactured or something else or take chances that he can do it right? Its fast enough that putting some Racing impeller really isnt apealing. Since I let my wife and kids drive it. I am looking for reliablity. The lake that is closest to me is really trashy its a full time job steering away from debris and I still picked up a stick.
    Last edited by DeathWish; 07-21-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Stock replacement is fine for your application.
    You could post a wanted to buy in classifieds for a stock
    impeller.
    I have a brand new one from my RXT sitting in garage so I'm sure
    lots of others do too!!
    PM if your interested in buying mine (just a suggestion, not trying to
    sell anything)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information