Rebuilding water regulator on waterbox 99SPX

Had a pinhole in the bellows from that cheezy spring clip. Got the new bellows and now I'm wondering about the metal screw/plunger. How far do you screw it into the plastic cap? Till it bottoms out?
    In testing it, it seems like it shuts the water to the top of the pipe body off completely.
    Thanks in advance.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Had a pinhole in the bellows from that cheezy spring clip. Got the new bellows and now I'm wondering about the metal screw/plunger. How far do you screw it into the plastic cap? Till it bottoms out?
    In testing it, it seems like it shuts the water to the top of the pipe body off completely.
    Thanks in advance.
    Yeah...it will burn up your coupler bottomed out...
    Back it out til flush with the black top.

Is that the rule of thumb with all the water regulators XP? I rebuilt mine as well and unless I mis-read the manual they only suggested to thread the red adjuster on the top all the way down, then back it off 3 turns. There wasn't any mention of the tapered needle inside the regulator. I just assumed that it was supposed to be threaded in fully and the adjustment is taken care of through the read portion on the top.

On a different note, I found out why my ski would just die at high speed but start back up again...I forgot to tighten the gear clamp on the exhaust hose leaving the muffler to the thru-hull I haven't proven this theory yet but the plugs looked fine and it's the only thing I can come up with right now haha.
    Last edited by Schwarzenegger; 07-20-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I think flush is the rule. You can play with it by going in a click or two to get a few more max rpms, but at the sacrifice of some bottom end. Also make a pass and check your couplers to confirm they aren't getting too hot.

So your stinger coupler was loose? That's a weird one...lol
    Did it ever smoke up the inside of your hull?

Wellllll....you see it's like this eheh. I had to replace the ring gear and and mag cup assembly so I disconnected almost everything so I could stand the engine up on it's side and do the job. With that in mind I also removed the muffler so it was actually idiot's error The coupler looked alright. When I rebuilt the regulator the previous owner had the red cap backed out only 1 1/4 turns. I'm quite surprised it didn't melt anything to be honest.

Here's what I went by from the book when rebuilding it. It doesn't make any mention of the tapered needle inside so I think it just gets screwed in tight. Another reason why I think this is because they say to hold the inside of the valve to prevent it from turning...otherwise the needle won't unscrew out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water Regulator.JPG 
Views:	526 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	84004  

Here's the other half of what I did. But I really like your suggestion. I think I will bring my red cap up a little higher to get as close to flush as I can...I would rather have a little extra cooling than not enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water Regulator 2.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	84005  

Thread Information