Yamaha Techs...PLEASE Help Newbie !!!

I went to look at a 95 Waveraider 1100 yesterday. Comp. numbers seemed high @ 138,137,138. The ski has 400 hours and may have been rebuilt. The owner says the boat is fine out of the water but in the water it gets up to 50 mph then flattens out. It has a slight noise where the impeller shaft rides in the bearing leading out of the engine compartment. He was told it might need an impeller and to have the bearing replaced. Any thoughts guys ? He wants $800.00 for the ski. I just don't want to buy a ski and then open up a can of worms.

Another ski i'm looking at is a 99 GP 1200 with 180 hours and comp. readings of 125,124,125. This gentleman wants $3000.00 for the ski, a newer trailer and a cover. It's very clean and has been winterized and professionally maintained. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from a confused newbie...Dave

P.S.- How is the reliability/durability of these two engines ?
    Last edited by tort9320g; 07-20-2008 at 04:29 AM.

Marley Creek, MD
    #'s look good to me. Reliability is pretty good (it's 13 years old and runs eh). But it is a boat, gotta do maintenance. I've been looking for an 1100 at a good price, if i found one running for 800 bucks it would be behind my truck asap. If you live in maryland send me directions to the ski.

But i'd say it depends on what you want to spend, the 1200 is probably a better ski, but if you know how to turn a wrench the 1100 might save you 1500 bucks and still be alot of fun.

Just my $.02

League City, Texas
    welcome to the forum !

We have some raider and GP resident gurus that will chime in soon

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    welcome to the forum !

We have some raider and GP resident gurus that will chime in soon
    Thanks for the welcome my friend and thanks to the gentleman above. If you know of anyone familiar with these two skis please let them know i could use their input ASAP as i don't want to miss out on a good deal.

Thanks again guys...Dave

Orange, TX
    The compression on the GP is perfect. Both engines are very reliable. If it were me I would buy the GP, but it would be hard to pass up a Raider that has good compression for $800.00.

if you can then buy both-it would be a shame to pass up a raider with good compression for $800-we can help you with the rest-its a buyers market right now with the economy so i would offer $2500 for the gp and pick up the raider too

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm pretty handy with a set of tools so i think either way i go i should be ok.

P.S.- My PLC (personal land craft) is a 650 + hp street car.

Thread Information