Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broke my '02 GTX DI. Don't know what I did

Ok, I broke my '02 GTX DI, but I don't know what I did. We were down in Ohio on Pleasant Hill Lake and it was VERY choppy. I was out for about an hour jumping waves and then I noticed my speed wasn't as high as it was. Also the engine sounded differently.It wasn't as deep of a soeund as usual. Based on my truck I'd swear it was a slipping clutch becaus the engine would rev but the power wasn't getting to the water.

I'm going to see if I sucked anything into the pump, but are there other things I can check?

Thanks in advance!

Well I pulled the rear housing off the pump and boy did I find a mess. At first I thought I sucked up a black plastic bag, but this stuff is a lot more dense than plastic used in bags. I'm going to post some pictures here in abit but I hope this isn't the remants of the wear ring.

pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1864.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	84160  

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Looks like the remenants to me!

Man...that is the worst-trashed wear ring I've ever seen!

Nice, clear pic.

+1
    hmm, the stator veins look real good, maybe something is out of alignemtn to cause the rip up.

TLR

wear ring that got mangled.. You need to pull the pump and figure out what caused it the impellor either got bent or the bearings went bad or something got in the pump and shreded the wear ring the black plastic is the wearring surface and its supposed to cover the fiberglass but now it dont.

Thanks to all that replied, I do appreciate your time. I was afraid that was the wear ring. Oh well, things break I'm glad I have the repair manual, but I'm at work right now. I do have some more questions:

1, I still have the ski on the trailer. Is that ok/safe for this repair or do I need to invest in a stand?

2, Do I need to pull off the next four bolts in the back and it pops off ? Also does the repair manual have a proceedure to check the alignment of the shaft?

3, While I'm down in there are there any other parts I should replace? The impeller does have some pits at the end, but I don't know if they are bad enough to replace or just live with it.

Thanks!

Master of the Dooniverse
    1. working on the trailer is fine, so is working: on the ground, on the dock, on the lift, in the water, LOL.....anywhere really. the pump is sealed but the trailer or stand is best.

2. yes, remove the nuts and the pump will pull off with some wiggling.

3. if the prop isn't beat all to hell just remove and install new wear ring then install prop. it should be pretty close fitting so may not slide right in until you get it lined up perfectly.

cut the old wear ring out with a angle grinder or dremel with 90º head. don't worry if you nick the pump a little when cutting through. put the new ring in the freezer and when the pump is done it will slide right in there.

change your pump oil and inspect it for water or any other colors besides green/black.

Well the pump is off and the mess is bad. It smelt like burnt plastic when I pulled it off. There was a seal on the back of the hull and then another seal on the back of the pump, plus the wear ring and the impeller.

The hull looks like it has a waxy material on it before the seal. The seal on the hull is ok, but the seal on the back of pump is melted and the ring and impeller are shot. I can hardly turn the impeller even after digging out a bunch of shreded and melted plastic.

So I'm going to get a new seal, impeller, ring and tolls to do the job.

Here are some more pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1871.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	84608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1875.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	84609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1876.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	84610  

Wow, what a mess!! I would say rebuild your pump unit to be on the safe side and perhaps get the pump shaft checked to make sure it is not bent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information