Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

02 polaris 1200 overheat

Recently bought a 2002 15' "Rio" jetboat with a Polaris 1200. What I understand is that it was made by a company named Sugar Sand Marine for a year or two. The vessel was bought by a friend of the family brand new along with two other jetskis several years back. Their sons took the jetskis to the lake not long after buying them and total lost one of them (hit a underwater tree and destroyed bottom of the ski). Long and short, the family parked the jet boat in a garage and sold both of the skis. I just bought the boat for payoff and the engine has less than 10 hours on it and 5 yrs in a garage. I have taken it out a few times and I keep getting the overheat alarm. At first I thought oil sending unit, ruled that out. Then thought bad temp sensor. nope. it is actually getting warm. The local polaris shop told me to disregard the sensor, pull it out of the exhaust and plug the hole. well, when the ground wire running from the battery to the block melted the shield, i knew i was getting hotter than i should. When the overheat alarm goes off, i could lay my hands on the cyls. and they were warm but not scalding hot. Took an infared thermometer out on the boat with me and the lower half of the pipe is getting hot and then transfering heat to the top side where it is jacketed. I have checked all water lines, all hoses in good shape, good water flow, increases flow with higher rpms. i was told that running lean can cause the engine to run hot; however, i pulled the plugs this afternoon and they weren't the "overheating white" that I was expecting to see. Threads are black and gummy and the tips of the plugs look normal. It seems to overheat more during hot days than evenings, but this thing is overheating at 25 mph's on a ten min ride. not even half throttle. Any [email protected]#[email protected] I can't get anyone local to touch the thing. They will work on seadoos and yam. but won't touch a polaris; and after what the local polaris dealership told me i'm afraid to even take it to them. Rebuild the carbs is the only thing i can think of; but will that fix my issue? stretched myself thin moneywise just buying the boat, but thought i was getting a ready to run vessel. Need to figure this out before I blow the engine.

jetboatdummy --> SML, VA

addendum:

2 cycle
    3 cylinder

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk...

Can you snap a pic of the engine??

On the 1200 watercraft there are two water screens one is located in the jetpump feed line and one is in the top of the exhaust pipe.

pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0035.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	718.9 KB 
ID:	84076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0036.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	759.3 KB 
ID:	84077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0037.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	745.5 KB 
ID:	84078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0038.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	811.3 KB 
ID:	84079  

+1
    Can you snap one of the pump??

+1
    Check item #8 it is a screen fitting.

Also check Item # 27 @ 22.

Interesting boat...would you like to part with it?

From the registration, I believe you are in Virginia?

from the first photo, #8 was good. screen clear from trash and no clogs, dirt, sand etc in the hole. However, you will have to refer to my screenname when it comes to photo number two. On my engine I am having a tough time locating this thermostat assy. My assumption is that it would be located in the general area of number 1 on the second photo where the main line goes into the rail along the top of the three cylinders. I pulled those two allen screws out to release the plastic tip where the hose was connected but it has nothing inside of it. Am i missing something or just looking in the wrong place all together. Also, in looking at my engine photos above, probably best seen in pic #3 , in this same area, i have about a 4" piece of black hose that sticks out, turns 90 deg. then has a plastic cap almost like some sort of blow off valve just before you get to the first plug wire coming from the back. what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    Interesting boat...would you like to part with it?

From the registration, I believe you are in Virginia?

Pardon the expression Rocky Road, but Everythings for sale if the money is right.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatdummy View Post
    from the first photo, #8 was good. screen clear from trash and no clogs, dirt, sand etc in the hole.
    Check the fitting at the other end of the hose that connects to #8. Make sure it isn't plugged.

...On my engine I am having a tough time locating this thermostat assy. My assumption is that it would be located in the general area of number 1 on the second photo where the main line goes into the rail along the top of the three cylinders.
    Normally the water flow would be OUT of that water bar, through that thermostat housing (retained with two allen bolts), and out the back of the hull.

I pulled those two allen screws out to release the plastic tip where the hose was connected but it has nothing inside of it. Am i missing something or just looking in the wrong place all together.
    If you don't have anything inside the housing, that may be normal, or someone else pulled the thermostat out trying to fix the same overheat problem.

Also, in looking at my engine photos above, probably best seen in pic #3 , in this same area, i have about a 4" piece of black hose that sticks out, turns 90 deg. then has a plastic cap almost like some sort of blow off valve just before you get to the first plug wire coming from the back.
    what is that?
    That would be the reverse flush hose connection.
    Polaris sold the two parts as a kit, one part that fits on the engine, the other half fits on your garden hose, then they plug together to reverse flush the engine cooling system.
    I think what is suspected here is that the cooling water spray into the inside of the exhaust system is not happening.

Not only is there a water jacket on the exhaust pipe, but water is also sprayed into the actual exhaust stream, which keeps the temperatures down for the last portion of the exhaust system and the rubber hoses. That metal mesh screen you checked is upstream of the spray nozzle.

So either the water pressure in the entire cooling system is low (which is fed from an inlet screen inside the jet pump nozzle), or the flow into the exhaust spray nozzle is restricted or blocked.

Check that the black plastic mesh screen (postage stamp size) inside the reducing nozzle on the jet pump is clear.

Also check that the plastic water tube that runs alongside the jet pump at the back is in place, and not cracked or broken.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information