Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2008 FX SHO Owners Attention!!

Well today was a beautiful day here in New Jersey so I thought I would take the skis out and burn some gas. After riding around for about 90 minutes the FX SHO just shut down while going about 40 MPH. After towing it in I found the ski out of gas the the gas tank crushed. The vent line was not secured properly and the tank crushed like someone was standing on it. We still can't figure out why the low gas warning did not sound? I was not personally riding it but a friend who worked at Seadoo dealership was. CHECK your vent line. When my ski was built it was not rigged properly and the vent hose had a huge kink in it. When I opened the gas cap the tank started to regain it's original shape. We put in two gallons of gas and it fired right up.
    So why did the low fuel alarm not go off? Back to the dealer on Tuesday. I am going to let them deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by seasure1 View Post
    Well today was a beautiful day here in New Jersey so I thought I would take the skis out and burn some gas. After riding around for about 90 minutes the FX SHO just shut down while going about 40 MPH. After towing it in I found the ski out of gas the the gas tank crushed. The vent line was not secured properly and the tank crushed like someone was standing on it. We still can't figure out why the low gas warning did not sound? I was not personally riding it but a friend who worked at Seadoo dealership was. CHECK your vent line. When my ski was built it was not rigged properly and the vent hose had a huge kink in it. When I opened the gas cap the tank started to regain it's original shape. We put in two gallons of gas and it fired right up.
    So why did the low fuel alarm not go off? Back to the dealer on Tuesday. I am going to let them deal with it.
    That's what happens when you let someone else ride your ski.

+1
    Could have happened to anyone, you'll get it sorted out...

The gauge was probably never right to begin with.

I took mine out for the first ride today. I was unscrewing the gas cap at the station and the tank had so much pressure on it that the cap shot out of my hand, and the chain was the only thing keeping it from orbit. Where is the vent line on these things?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    I took mine out for the first ride today. I was unscrewing the gas cap at the station and the tank had so much pressure on it that the cap shot out of my hand, and the chain was the only thing keeping it from orbit. Where is the vent line on these things?
    This is just the opposite of what was described. The vent allows air in not out.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    This is just the opposite of what was described. The vent allows air in not out.
    A fuel tanks vent does both. If the ski was gassed up in cool weather then parked in the sun, (which is exactly what happened to mine) the fuel would expand, and with no way to vent, would swell and pressurize the tank.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    A fuel tanks vent does both. If the ski was gassed up in cool weather then parked in the sun, (which is exactly what happened to mine) the fuel would expand, and with no way to vent, would swell and pressurize the tank.
    all the OEM watercraft I have worked with only have a one way vent. not to say this one does not have something different, I have not worked on one. Just my experience with past skis.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    all the OEM watercraft I have worked with only have a one way vent. not to say this one does not have something different, I have not worked on one. Just my experience with past skis.
    My other Waverunner doesnt. Do the ones you are mentioning have some kind of check valve on them?

+1
    Yep they are one way check valves. I want to hear the pressure relieve when I open my cap lets me know the system is working.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information