2000 gp1200r bogging sometimes

i took my gp1200r out for a ride with my son today. i took off from the launch and everything was running fine for the first few minutes until the machine bogged down. i promtly shut it down and check under the seat for anything strange(oil in the hull). i started it back up and it took of fine but then started bogging back down after a minute or so. i rode it for a minute or so like this and then it cleared back up. i pulled back to the shore and began to check things out. i check the power valve operation and that was working. and i checked the plug wich were fine. i started it back up and it was more of the same about 35 mph and no more than 5000rpms and then clearing to 60mph. it then threw an exhaust temp light and i thought i found the problem hoping it was the cat, the ski has 60 hours and it hasn't been change. i brought it home and pulled the stinger and the thing looks mint. i also ran a compression check and thats 110 across the board. i am at a loss now of what to look for im thinking carbs but why would it just start bogging down and then clear up and run perfectly. any help would great. thanks in advance mike.

+1
    Remove inspect the power valves.

i did check to see if the power valves were cycling at shut down and also unpluged the servo and opened them manualy with no change really. still bogging down sometimes. should i still pull the valves and have a look. and what am i looking for. thanks mike.

ok today i went out to the garage and popped the covers off of the power valves and everything looks fine. all three are still there and moving up and down properly, is there any thing else i should be looking for with these ( i installed wave eaters last year). i also pulled the water box thinking that if the cat looked so new than someone had to have changed it and maybe did not get all the pieces out, but no luck it was clear. does anyone have any other sugestions. thank mike

+1
    The next step I would take is to check the carbs.

do you have any suggestions on where i should send them, or is this something i can do my self. i have basic mechanical skills but no experience with jet skies. all my ideas have come from what i have read here

+1
    They are straight forward take your time. Do you have the Manual?

Here is a good guide.
    http://www.sbtontheweb.com/pdfs/mikunisbn.pdf

i do have the yamaha manual and the guide you posted is printing now. are there any special tricks ( or links ) to setting the carbs back up and tunning them. thanks mike

update.. i figured before i ripped the carbs off i would check one last thing. i pulled the fuel sending unit and checked the little flapper door at the bottom sure enough it was twisted. i didn't think this was really going to cure the problem but i figured what the hell. put the stinger back in and the rest of the crap i pulled apart and took it out for a ride and sure enough the problem is gone i had it out for about an hour and it ran with out any problems. i think i will still pull it back appart and rebuild the carbs from the sounds of other threads they are over do. thanks for your help again beerdart. mike

Thread Information