951 Help Overheat

ANY REASON WHY MY 98 GSX OVERHEATS I CHECKED THE HOSES THE PUMP NOTHING IS BLOCKED ANY IDEAS KEITH CELL 610-392-6065 ASAP

Is it getting hot on the block or the tuned pipe? If it's getting proper cooling, you should be able to touch the block without it being too hot. If the tuned pipe is getting too hot then I would suggest looking into the water regulator on the muffler. Maybe try putting a small amount of air through the water inlet port on the head, and see if it comes out the oulet port. It's possible you have some blockage in the water jacket its self.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by keith neff View Post
    ANY REASON WHY MY 98 GSX OVERHEATS I CHECKED THE HOSES THE PUMP NOTHING IS BLOCKED ANY IDEAS KEITH CELL 610-392-6065 ASAP
    What is overheating...the pipe or engine?

put it on the hose and LOOK at the pump is water coming out of the pump.. Look close there is a lot of water coming outthe exaust area and can loook like its coming out the pump. The elbow on top of the head can get plugged easy with corosion and other crap.. Salt water sets up elctrolisis there alot in 951's Why didnt I learn to spell in school?

I've not seen electrolisis be an issue on a pwc, not saying it couldn't happen but it is a first for me to hear of. I know it happens on boat drives all the time because the engine's electrical components ground out to the block. The block being in raw contact to the gearcase is basically an extended ground to the water, and electrical current in contact with the water is where the electrolisis happens. That's why they have to incorporate a sacraficial annode (the little gray block) onto the gearcases of both outboards and I/O's. It's made of softer material it will take the brunt of the deterioration before anything else does. This will happen in salt or fresh water. If you're having that happen to your ski I would love to see the pics...I'm quite interested with this theory

BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
    if it overheats on the water, you got pump issues
    if it overheats on land you got the cooling hose/engine issues

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    I've not seen electrolisis be an issue on a pwc, not saying it couldn't happen but it is a first for me to hear of. I know it happens on boat drives all the time because the engine's electrical components ground out to the block. The block being in raw contact to the gearcase is basically an extended ground to the water, and electrical current in contact with the water is where the electrolisis happens. That's why they have to incorporate a sacraficial annode (the little gray block) onto the gearcases of both outboards and I/O's. It's made of softer material it will take the brunt of the deterioration before anything else does. This will happen in salt or fresh water. If you're having that happen to your ski I would love to see the pics...I'm quite interested with this theory
    You should read up on galvanic corrosion - quite interesting. Here's a start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

A jetski driveshaft is in constant contact with the water, so essentially the same contact as you mention for an outdrive.

That's an excellent point, I guess just because I have never encountered it, it seems foreign to me but I am interested with that link. Will be checking it out as soon as I get a chance, thanks for the input. You learn something everyday right

Master of the Dooniverse
    any dissimilar touching metals will have a differential across them which *will* move and corrode metal. aluminum and stainless and water equals corrosion. loctite helps with that and so does grease.

You hae a 90deg brass fitting that water lays in (Salty hear) its in an aluminum head with a steel head gasket. I have seen several plugged so bad I had to remove the fitting and dig out the crap in the head.. you can pull the hose when flushing the engine and water should flow out on its way to the pump.. if the inside of the pump is dry while flushing look hear. Hard to tell with out a close look if the water is coming out the pump or exaust only

Thread Information