Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User

Solid Works vs pro/e Wildfire

Anybody out there using either one of these mechanical engineering design software programs.

Pros: I can get the pro/e wildfire student edition for $99 and it doesn't expire.

Cons: I can get solid works student edition for $139 but it expires after 24 months.

I'm wondering which one gets used more in industry, I know solid works has a good rep, will it matter which one I learn to use?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Pro E is used by more people in the business then Solidworks. Alot of the aerospace industry uses Pro E along with John Deere and Catapiller,General Dynamics. Catia v5 is also widely used by most automotive except GM(which uses UG NX)

My freind who has a prototype and injection mold company uses Solid worx
    I was always fascinated watching him work with the software

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Pro E is used by more people in the business then Solidworks. Alot of the aerospace industry uses Pro E along with John Deere and Catapiller,General Dynamics. Catia v5 is also widely used by most automotive except GM(which uses UG NX)
    Thnx, I have Pro E ordered, there on back order, hope I don't have to wait too long.

+1
    depends what industry, but solidworks is becoming the industry standard. i have clients who were using pro-e switch over to solidworks. personally, i use solidworks.

the automotive sector likes to use their own stuff (ie unigraphics, catia etc), and i have had no problems in converting files to use in solidworks. never used pro-e so i can't comment but i hear it is very similar.

+1
    Solidworks!

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    Solidworks!

Without having used either one, I'm guessing if you know how one works, picking up the other won't be that hard, they're both 3-D design programs. I'm going with Pro-E student edition, because it won't expire like Solidworks.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    We jsut upgraded last year. I found that they are all more or less the same. But, solidworks is geared more toward consuer products, organic shapes, ect. and the others are more industrial.

Have you ever used pro/e before? because its not something you just pick up as you go. Most people go to the training class twice just to get the basics down. not to mention it doesnt have a polygon tool, which is absolute insanity. you will spend 15 minutes try to constrain a triangle. I use solidworks approx. 7 hours a day for mostly MIL spec applications. There are some things i really like about it and somethings that are done really poorly. Pro/e i just flat out dont like.

God help you if you open an assembly and its referencing something other than whats its supposed to (people who've suffered the wrath of pro/e before know what im talking about) it WILL NOT let you close it. you have to sit there and fix it right then and there or unplug the machine. and if this happens at 4:50, guess what...that freakin plug comes out of the wall so fast. and then nobody touches the assembly for years on end because they dont want to fix it. Im sure large companies have very systematic ways of contraining things and creating assemblies so this does not happen.

I would try to get an evaluation version of both to see which one you like. if youve never used either of them and you buy pro/e out of blind faith..you are going to be hating life and all existance for a "while" because the learning curve is infinite especially if you have nobody to teach you.

something else worth noting...solidworks was started by a group of people who left pro/e becuase they wanted to change too many things (for the better). such as the user interface which to this day is like interacting with a 3yr old.

also, if you are looking for finite element analysis intergration, cosmos (that comes with solidworks) is mediocore at best. flowworks is worse. I do a lot of thermal analysis on thermal electric coolers as well as vibration (modal) analysis on fixtures on tool holders...ansys is the way to go. it costs 4x what algor does but it also has 4x more features and functions. algor is middle of the road, its good for novice users and recents grads. user interface is lacking but its not a disaster.

also for ECAD integration, circuitworks, which was recently aquired by solidworks, is now included in the solidworks premuim package. I just finished and evaluation between circuitworks and another company called desktop eda which has a similar software. again, circuitworks is mediocore at best and in this case happens to be 3x more expensive. the other features included in the premuim version of solidworks are not very good. i think there is a tolerance analysis tool that has some potential but would take months if not years to impliment into a small company much less a large organization. the routing tool (cable harnesses) is extremely counter-intuitive. the design checker is for novice users who are unable to properly set up a template. theres a 3d scan tool which converts surfaces from a 3d scanner to a solid, which works well but has limited uses.

its worth noting that autodesk inventor is a very very user friendly program. i used it for years before solidworks. and it is very similar to solidworks in most aspects so if you know one you pretty much know both of them.
    Last edited by mxl16; 07-23-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information