Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1

Trueing the hull....?

What exactly is meant by this? What is done to true the hull?

I am thinking about painting my ski and the bottom of the hull is really bad. Just wondering if any shop could do this or it's more of a trained proffesional type of thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new 022.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	747.3 KB 
ID:	4720  

Vladimir from PPG is going to do it for me at the shop. It cost 850.00 he said 3 mph by doing this. The whole bottom get sanded, painted, and whatever they do to do this.
    Take Care

Also see Frazier at PPG

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecyan
    Vladimir from PPG is going to do it for me at the shop. It cost 850.00 he said 3 mph by doing this. The whole bottom get sanded, painted, and whatever they do to do this.
    Take Care
    "Whatever they do to do this"

Exactly what I want to know. Cuz it cannot be $850 just to sand and paint it.

+1
    3 mph... Bull$hit! IF 1 mph was gained I'd be shocked. Even if the strakes are cut 3 mph is crazy. If some one can Guarrantee 3 mph with just the hull (not ride plate) I'll pay 1700.00. Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by Hecyan
    Take Care
    Please post if you get 3mph. I'm thinking of doing it this winter but I'm going to just pay attention to the rear half where the water is touching at WOT.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    my hull is trued... re-sprayed with gelcote, sanded, etc etc.

what is truing? SANDING, and SANDING, and more sanding, and then some more, and when u think ur done keep going.... and then spray and then sand and maybe repsray and sand some more.

it's all labor and a few quarts of gelcote.

what's the point? if u were to strip ur hull down to nothing as i did... pull eveyr body component off, hood, handlebars, remove the motor, strip it down to an empty fiberglass hull.... flip it over and look down the hull from front to back u'll see all the waves and dimples and curves in the hull from the mold at the factory.

hull truing seeks to remove every single one of them ripples and waves and whatnot, and it takes a trained eye and trained hands and some trade secrets i'm sure.

i brought my hull to my friend that did all the work for me and had experience. we flipped it over, checked things out and damn, i didn't realize how bad things were until he started pointing it out and that thing was upside down in the sunlight.... BADDDDDD..... got it back weeks later and i know alot of hardwork went into it, and i couldn't be happier. the bottom of the hull is so straight and perfect i cringe everytime i put it on the trailer. no more beaching it, no more riding it up the trailer, no more abuse... it stays anchored in deep water, the trailer gets completely submerged and i float the ski on the bunks.... gotta protect the masterpiece, lol.

hope this helps u understand a little more of what hull truing is... there's more to it, but that's the basics. they can play with the chines/strakes and angles and sharpness or the angles and lines and the transom corner, wahtever else
    Last edited by Shibby1485; 07-20-2006 at 11:09 PM.

+1
    and i agree with jaws.... 3 mph from JUST the hull, not happening.

3 mph from the hull, modded rideplate, intake grate, special attention to detail... maybeeee but still a stretch IMO

I think there is some speed to be found with the RXT/GTX in the rideplate. I'm hoping Riva has a rideplate mod in the works for the RXT. Shibby did you shim yours so it sits lower at the transom. Mine doesn't flush with the hull it's alot lower. I have a ton of right stuff that it cut off at an angle. It needs to be shimmed up and lowered at the transom.

Do I just take off the 4 bolts at the bottom to do it ?

+1
    get a very very long straight edge on your hull going from the front of the ski across the rideplate... see what is what... no 2 hulls are the same

and whatever you modify or grind or shim, keep track of what ur doing and measure so that u can always return it to it's stock positioning if things dont go so well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information