+1

Electronic Gremlins in my 05 R-12X?

Iím a little concerned about my 05 R-12X. Iíve never had any problems with it what so everÖ I bought it as a left over in June 07 and itís got 87ish hours on it.

We went out to start it and my buddy put the lanyard under the red button, it did the beep-beep, but when he hit the start button it went dead. Even pulling out the stop switch and trying a few other things it was still dead. So I started digging thru the fuses and none were busted. When I pulled the 30amp (main fuse) and re-inserted it, I was able to start it and it ran fine. My buddy took off across the lake and I didnít see him for a few, then I heard the famous Honda low gas beep from across the lake, and I was getting pretty mad at this pointÖ I had just dumped 10 gallons of liquid gold to top it off. IT WASNíT outta gas. So he brought it back in and killed it, then we tried to restart and same thingÖ nothing. So I pulled the 30 amp fuse again (still not popped) put it back in and it seemed to run fine thru the rest of the tank, it started every-timeÖ

Anyone have anything similar? Itís a fresh water ski and I hose it down with CRC-656 religiously. I really hope I donít have electronic gremlinsÖ

Just out of curiosity, when it was beeping what indicator was blinking on the display.

+1
    Check the green ground wire located at the rear of the cylinder head, just below the WGS.

+1
    Tommy, the ski is out at the lake, so it'll be a few day's before I can check, that sounds logical...

Nothing displayed on the display, it straight died, it was like the battery went dead.

+1
    The battery could be dyeing a slow death.....do you keep it on a trickle charge (battery tender) when its at the lake?
    Last edited by 1tommygunner1927; 08-16-2008 at 06:30 PM.

+1
    Ok so this weekend I rode Saturday and didn't have to pull the 30 main once... it started everytime...

However... now the "beep beep" when I put the lanyard on is sometimes barely auditable or not at all... wtf? I'm thinking it's somthing to do with the lanyard killswitch area...

Any one take theirs apart, would that void warranty? If it's something I can fix I'd much rather do that than take it to the dealer and let them sit on it for 4 weeks.

ground wire from block was attached firm..

+1
    Most people try to partially silence their beeper by covering it. It will drive you nuts when you get somewhat low on fuel. You have to be under 1200 RPM to silence the thing.

There was another post about this possibly being corrosion or loose wiring in the fuse block. I am having the same issue but mine will not turn over at all. I have replaced the fuse, relay, switch, jumped the starter and still no luck. I have also tested continuity and everything seems fine. My next step is to see if I can disassemble the fuse block but it looks like it may be impossible without damage.

NV 05
    Quote Originally Posted by fugli View Post
    There was another post about this possibly being corrosion or loose wiring in the fuse block. I am having the same issue but mine will not turn over at all. I have replaced the fuse, relay, switch, jumped the starter and still no luck. I have also tested continuity and everything seems fine. My next step is to see if I can disassemble the fuse block but it looks like it may be impossible without damage.
    Have you tried a "KNOWN GOOD" battery ?

+1
    No, it ran fine this last weekend, however my beep-beep on plugging in the lanyard is barely audible/not at all... I haven't taped it up or anything... I'll just keep riding till it breaks... it's got the warranty, but I don't want to not have my ski for weeks...

Thread Information