Kinda Urgent Advice Need, Stone In Impeller

Just rebuilt my 300hour MSX 140. REally easy, did without any guideance or manuel etc. Many thanks to Randy @ WatCon who provided the bits, and shipped over to the UK for me, arrived next day! crazy!

Took out for a practice run to make sure everything was ok, had a couple of exhaust pop offs, my fault for not tightening the clips up...

Ok..

Got a HUGE stone caught in the impellor, it is visable.. How do i get it out?

Ive taken the 4 long bolts off the back, and the rubber reverse gator thing, but cant seem how to get the next section off???

Also..

M scoop grate is missing, is this important, or can i reide without it for a bit?

Thanks

Tom

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by T11OM F View Post
    Just rebuilt my 300hour MSX 140...
    Got a HUGE stone caught in the impeller, it is visible.. How do i get it out?

I've taken the 4 long bolts off the back, and the rubber reverse gator thing, but cant seem how to get the next section off???

...My scoop grate is missing, is this important, or can I ride without it for a bit?
    That would be why you have a stone in your impeller.
    Use a length of lumber to work the pump body left and right, until it works free. Just move it a cm or so each way, and work it loose. Pry against the sides of the pump tunnel.

Then pull the pump body straight back. It may let go suddenly, so be prepared for that. The drive shaft will probably come out at the same time, so you need to pull straight out.

Watch that you don't loose the little rubber bumper that fits on each end of the drive shaft.

Once you have the rock out, check for damage to the impeller blades and stator vanes.

Clean up the joints between each section, and verify that the pump pieces all fit together smoothly and fully. Apply some anti-seize compound to each pump section rim when you re-assemble.

The intake grate prevents large items (sticks, stones, floating debris) from flowing straight into the jet pump. If you are riding in ocean and rough waters, then an aftermarket intake grate will provide better hook-up.

Polaris Service Manual is available here.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    K447 about covered it all.

Rock stuck on impeller

So as I tried to leave a rocky island, the strong current pushed me back closer to the rocky beach area as I turned on the ski (seadoo wake) and sucked up rocks. I still have one in the impeller, and I cant get it out. Even after removing the grate plate and physically grabbing the stone, it wont budge. I dont see how to remove it without taking out the impeller but I think I would probably end up doing more damage by doing so. Any ideas, hints, anything before I take it to the dealership for repair?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070197.JPG 
Views:	1320 
Size:	738.3 KB 
ID:	165907  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpmage View Post
    ...I don't see how to remove it without taking out the impeller...
    Take the jet pump off, and remove the rock.

Then evaluate the damage. If you have questions about the damage, post a few clear photos here.

Got a HUGE stone caught in the impeller, it is visible.. How do i get it out?

Ive taken the 4 long bolts off the back, and the rubber reverse gator thing, but cant seem how to get the next section off???
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Use a length of lumber to work the pump body left and right, until it works free. Just move it a cm or so each way, and work it loose. Pry against the sides of the pump tunnel.

Then pull the pump body straight back. It may let go suddenly, so be prepared for that. The drive shaft will probably come out at the same time, so you need to pull straight out.

Watch that you don't loose the little rubber bumper that fits on each end of the drive shaft.

Once you have the rock out, check for damage to the impeller blades and stator vanes.

Clean up the joints between each section, and verify that the pump pieces all fit together smoothly and fully. Apply some anti-seize compound to each pump section rim when you re-assemble.

The intake grate prevents large items (sticks, stones, floating debris) from flowing straight into the jet pump. If you are riding in ocean and rough waters, then an aftermarket intake grate will provide better hook-up.

Polaris Service Manual is available here.

+1
    Take the spark plugs out and try spinning the shaft backwards. Also try crushing the rock into smaller pieces with needle nose pliers. Just a few ideas I would try.

I got the rock out.

I hate to admit it, but I am a really bad handy man.. so instead of messing with my ski I spend 1.5 hours slowly breaking the stone, successfully! lol I quickly run it and its no longer vibrating and its rpms are responding like normal. There are minor superficial grooves caused by the stuck stone rotating with the propeller, but i dont think that should compromise performance.

Thanks for your imput.

+1
    Do install an intake grate. It is an important safety item, to prevent hands and feet from getting near the impeller. It also prevents large objects from getting stuck in or damaging the impeller

It is also a performance item, especially the aftermarket versions. They are not expensive, and not hard to install. One bolt with some Loctite Blue Threadlocker compound to keep it from loosening by itself.

I like the Loctite 248 in stick form, but the Blue 242 in liquid form also works well.

Thread Information