Bought an old Sea-Doo

Hey guys, I know this is a little off topic but I got an old Seadoo XP 1992 for almost nothing today. The guy said it just needs a starter. I turned the engine by hand and felt compression and it didn't seem to bind anywhere. The hull was in perfect shape minus a ripped seat.

For the price, I think it was a good deal. Worst case I resell it or part it out. By the way, does anyone have any expericence working on a yellow 580 motor? Are they reliable or anyone know of any updates that need to be done. I was searching on the sea-doo forums, but all the info there seems to be for newer ones.

+1
    Send a message to 96XPSS on the SeaDoo forums. He's the guru on that board. Did you start a thread there? You would use this section for the old skis -Sea Doo 2 Strokes

Quote Originally Posted by rob2337 View Post
    Hey guys, I know this is a little off topic but I got an old Seadoo XP 1992 for almost nothing today. The guy said it just needs a starter. I turned the engine by hand and felt compression and it didn't seem to bind anywhere. The hull was in perfect shape minus a ripped seat.

For the price, I think it was a good deal. Worst case I resell it or part it out. By the way, does anyone have any expericence working on a yellow 580 motor? Are they reliable or anyone know of any updates that need to be done. I was searching on the sea-doo forums, but all the info there seems to be for newer ones.

I had a 1990 580 that I rebuilt top to bottom. It was faithfull for many years.

+1
    Starter is a PITA to take out. I remember having to have a couple of extensions to go all the way under the engine to get to one of the bolts on my 580 back in 1992.

Thread Information