Bought an old 91 XP

Hey guys, I am from the Polaris forums but i just got an old Seadoo XP 1991 for almost nothing today. The guy said it just needs a starter. I turned the engine by hand and felt compression and it didn't seem to bind anywhere. The hull was in perfect shape minus a ripped seat.

For the price, I think it was a good deal. Worst case I resell it or part it out but I would like to get it going. By the way, does anyone have any expericence working on a yellow 580 motor? Are they reliable or anyone know of any updates that need to be done?

Any tips beside cleaning out all the carbs, and changing the gas before taking it out?

Quote Originally Posted by rob2337 View Post
    Hey guys, I am from the Polaris forums but i just got an old Seadoo XP 1991 for almost nothing today. The guy said it just needs a starter. I turned the engine by hand and felt compression and it didn't seem to bind anywhere. The hull was in perfect shape minus a ripped seat.

For the price, I think it was a good deal. Worst case I resell it or part it out but I would like to get it going. By the way, does anyone have any expericence working on a yellow 580 motor? Are they reliable or anyone know of any updates that need to be done?

Any tips beside cleaning out all the carbs, and changing the gas before taking it out?

I haven't had my ski very long either, but from what i've read, all the Rotax 2 strokes are pretty rock solid.

Post some pics of it when you get a chance

Master of the Dooniverse
    the yellow is no harder to work with than any other Doo minus the box being on the front of the engine (coil, amplifier, magneto, stator, etc).

Starter is a b*tch to get to the screws, but with an extension and some patience you can do it easily. i have done many of them and never removed the pipe. just be patient and use both hands to feed the socket in there. a good idea is to duct tape the scoket to the extension so it won't pop off when you withdraw it. you probably need ot move the waterbox out of the way to ge tthe extension in line with the areas you can slide it in.

there's a ground on the backside of the starter and a red positive wire on the hot stud too. 10mm socket for that, 13mm for the two starter mounting bolts.

anothe rgood idea is to line the socket with masking tape or one small strip of duct....that way when the screw gets fully out of the hole you can pull it out and put it in without worry of it falling below the engine plate. that will make you MAD.

No updates to speak of.

W

Is it worth it to change it to premix? I remember reading somthing about the rotary valve needs oil, so you can't do this . Sorry for the ignorance, I am currently a Polaris guy

Quote Originally Posted by rob2337 View Post
    Is it worth it to change it to premix? I remember reading somthing about the rotary valve needs oil, so you can't do this . Sorry for the ignorance, I am currently a Polaris guy
    Most of us with older skis choose premix. Cause then you know for sure that you are always getting plenty of oil no matter what!

Mine was already setup for premix when i bought her, so not sure exactly how to go about doing it. I'm sure someone can tell you that has actually done the procedure, or there's some easy how toos here somewhere to tell you how to do it. I'd try doing a search int eh 2 stroke section.

Thread Information