Cleaning a lake stained hull

I left the boat in the water for about 3 days while at the lake a few weeks ago and now have an awesome orange-brown tint all the way around from about the water level to the keel. It's not grime that has a texture, just a tint. I tried scrubbing it off with my usual boat wash but that did absolutely nothing. In researching around I've come across several products. What I'd like to do is get the stain off the hull and wax the hell out of it to help prevent it in the future. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've heard of people using Starbright hull cleaner, FSR, and MaryKate's On and Off... any luck with these?

I Have Used Diluted Simple Green.....spray On .....wipe Down With Wet Sponge.....hose Off....dirt And Grime Gone....

What you have is a stain - it's not dirt. Muriatic Acid will clean your hull. Absolutely does a fabulous job with almost no work from you. Spray some on, let it sit a few, then hose it off.

Guaranteed clean!!!

Waxing your hull won't help if you leave your boat, ski, whatever in the water. It will stain. Not only that, but waxing the bottom will scrub some speed off the top end. Yes, it's true. In fact many race boats will often lightly sand their bottoms to increase top end. The roughness collects air bubbles creating less resistance. It's physics.

Quote Originally Posted by smclear View Post
    Muriatic Acid will clean your hull. Absolutely does a fabulous job with almost no work from you. Spray some on, let it sit a few, then hose it off.
    Cool. I recall reading an article about that a while back. There was mention of sealing or somehow treating the gel coat afterwards to protect it. Perhaps I am confusing sealing with waxing?

Quote Originally Posted by smclear View Post
    Waxing your hull won't help if you leave your boat, ski, whatever in the water. It will stain. Not only that, but waxing the bottom will scrub some speed off the top end. Yes, it's true. In fact many race boats will often lightly sand their bottoms to increase top end. The roughness collects air bubbles creating less resistance. It's physics.
    Makes sense. I'm less concerned with top-end as I am with preventing staining tho.
    Last edited by ausgezeichnet7; 07-21-2008 at 04:32 PM.

my dad cleans the hull of our boat with "On Off" hull cleaner. its nasty but takes the stain off.

On Off

I second the On Off recommendation . . . stuff is strong . . . don't let it drip and sit on your trailer! Wear rubber gloves. Works great at getting that yellow hull stain out. Gotta re-wax after using it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thread Information