need some help msx 150

i rode my "fresh water only" msx150 for the first time in a few years. had some hickups for the first 20 minates or so, i though it might be some bad gas so i put in additional supream 91 octane, seemed to run much better but still not 100%.this past weekend i decided to put in some 100 octane gas about 1.5 gallons.i started it out of the water (with revers lever up of course) it ran fine for about 45 seconds then it got hot on exhaust side and very light smoke came out of engine compartment.i think it might have been some oil residue in the exhaust manifold.i shut it down let it cool off the next day started it again for 20 seconds and thought everything was fine. filled it up with 8 more gallons of 91 supream.here in california thats the best we get. took it to the lake yesterday. warmed it up in the water rode ok but at 3/4 throttle started to hick up and turbo would not reach maximum. i could feel at idle a rough feeling at 1550-1600 rpm. turbo meter registerd 2 bars rode it for a few hours then it felt fine but only got to 65 mph and 7400-7450 rpm.it use to go 69-70 @ 7500- 7550,at idle i would rap it to 2300 rpm let off, the second turbo bar would blick on and off it used to only show 1 bar at idle.the ski has 33 hours on it and has only had a 10 hour service. any of you think i could have messed up the turbo or could a service be all it needs. any help would be appreciated. thanks

+1
    Check the compression. You did not run it out of the water for that long without hooking it up to the hose did you?

No Water Not Smart I Know

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by joshieboy View Post
    i rode my "fresh water only" msx150 for the first time in a few years. had some hickups for the first 20 minates or so, i though it might be some bad gas so i put in additional supream 91 octane, seemed to run much better but still not 100%.this past weekend i decided to put in some 100 octane gas about 1.5 gallons.i started it out of the water (with revers lever up of course) it ran fine for about 45 seconds then it got hot on exhaust side and very light smoke came out of engine compartment.i think it might have been some oil residue in the exhaust manifold.i shut it down let it cool off the next day started it again for 20 seconds and thought everything was fine. filled it up with 8 more gallons of 91 supream.here in california thats the best we get. took it to the lake yesterday. warmed it up in the water rode ok but at 3/4 throttle started to hick up and turbo would not reach maximum. i could feel at idle a rough feeling at 1550-1600 rpm. turbo meter registerd 2 bars rode it for a few hours then it felt fine but only got to 65 mph and 7400-7450 rpm.it use to go 69-70 @ 7500- 7550,at idle i would rap it to 2300 rpm let off, the second turbo bar would blick on and off it used to only show 1 bar at idle.the ski has 33 hours on it and has only had a 10 hour service. any of you think i could have messed up the turbo or could a service be all it needs. any help would be appreciated. thanks
    You can not rely on the bar gauge to determine turbo boost pressure as it is a fake that does not read boost but rpm instead. You are not doing bad at 7,400rpm, especially if you operated in warm temperature. WOT is to be considered normal between 7,300rpm to 7,600rpm. Make sure you follow everyone's recomendations about safe oil level to prevent contaminating your intake circuit with oil -- this is where/when performance starts to go downhill with the Weber powerplant. I would give the engine some more run time before concluding something is wrong.

On a side note.... running the engine 45 seconds out of the water.... .... kind of limit for your exhaust temperature switch....

Good luck.

I agree with the Desperado...7450 is pretty normal for the MSX 150. I have seen mine go to 7600, and higher, but have always felt the rev limiter kick in immediately. Keep running it to get rid of any old gas, and be sure that you use the highest octane you can get your hands on!

You mentioned having it serviced...be sure that the oil level is not too high. Common mistake, and very costly.

Oh, yeah...do a search and find some of the threads that address the wastegate becoming stuck. Since yours doesn't seem to be a current problem, it is a great time to get in the habit of putting a few drops of thin oil at the shaft, before (and after) every ride.

Thread Information