Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. #1

    Thumbs up Help me with custom exhaust please...

    I've been looking into modifying the exhaust on my Speedster and I'm not quite sure how I should go about it. I want it to be louder and not so restrictive. I wanted to just do a straight open exhaust out the back through the hull but I'm thinking I have to keep that water box/muffler thing or whatever it is...Whats the black plastic looking box thing thats connected to the exhaust after it goes into the first muffler looking thing?? I'm so confused about this exhaust setup lol. Can somebody help out with some ideas and maybe pics so I can see what I should mess with. Thanks


  2. #2
    The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Odessa, TX
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by FastSpeedster215 View Post
    I've been looking into modifying the exhaust on my Speedster and I'm not quite sure how I should go about it. I want it to be louder and not so restrictive. I wanted to just do a straight open exhaust out the back through the hull but I'm thinking I have to keep that water box/muffler thing or whatever it is...Whats the black plastic looking box thing thats connected to the exhaust after it goes into the first muffler looking thing?? I'm so confused about this exhaust setup lol. Can somebody help out with some ideas and maybe pics so I can see what I should mess with. Thanks
    Ok here is you exhaust breakdown with proper terms(I am coming from the ski side so feel free to ask questions as things might be different)

    You start out in the exhaust manifold, on the side of the engine, sometimes called the exhaust log. The exhaust is still dry at this point and it is water jacketed. Next is the J-pipe, it connect the manifold to the water box. Exhaust is dry for most of the J-pipe exept for the portion that goes inside the water box. J-pipe is also water jacketed. Next is the water box(!st muffler thingy) Which uses a layer of water that the exhaust must pass through to exit the ski. From the water box out the exhaust is now wet and will no longer be water jacketed. After the Water box is a 3" connecting hose, rubber like and black it just connects to the resonator. The resonator is a black plastic piece used to further reduce the noise levels of the boat. The resonator is constructed of a maze of passage ways with varying shapes and sizes to do it job. By-passing the resonator leads to performance gains and increased boat noise. Last is another ruber-like hose and the outlet into the pump tunnel.

  3. #3
    ...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Hamptons, Long Island, New York
    Posts
    790
    +1
    5
    All I did for the Resonator Removal was simply unhook the Rubber Strap holding it down, unscrew the 4 Clamps holding the Rubber Exhaust Tubing onto the Resonator, pull out the Resonator, went to local Auto Parts Store (NAPA) got an 18" section of 2.5in Exhaust Pipe (about $3.99), cut the 2.5in Piping down to 8in in length, sprayed the inside and outside of the Pipe with High Temp Flat Black Engine Paint (to resist corrosion) and installed it in the Gap where the Resonator used to be. Be sure to use ALL 4 Clamps that were previously used with the Resonator, so you have as much Clamping Force as you can, so that the Piping won't Blow apart. I re-checked the Clamps the next morning just incase.

    Here is a pic of the Finished Product:


  4. #4
    Awesome thank you guys for the great help. Working in this engine bay is a real PITA. Hey duramax you have any trick for getting to that resonator or did you just jump in the engine bay and contort yourself into crazy positions like I've been doing lol?

    ...Hey duramax is that 2.5" piping you added rubber or metal like regular car exhaust piping? Thanks again...

  5. #5
    The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Odessa, TX
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by FastSpeedster215 View Post
    Awesome thank you guys for the great help. Working in this engine bay is a real PITA. Hey duramax you have any trick for getting to that resonator or did you just jump in the engine bay and contort yourself into crazy positions like I've been doing lol?

    ...Hey duramax is that 2.5" piping you added rubber or metal like regular car exhaust piping? Thanks again...
    You think thats a PITA come play with my GTX I think he used metal.

  6. #6
    ...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Hamptons, Long Island, New York
    Posts
    790
    +1
    5
    I just stood on the little piece of Metal over the Tail Light and on the Step of the Fender on the Trailer and went for it. Had to work with 1 hand most of the time, but eventually got it all done. If you are tiny, you could prob. fit on the Battery side of the Engine and lean across it and be good. I woulda have done it that way, but I was good with just standing on the Trailer.

    The Piping is just regular Metal like a Car Exhaust, thats why I hit it with the Paint for corrosion resistance.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxxed View Post
    I just stood on the little piece of Metal over the Tail Light and on the Step of the Fender on the Trailer and went for it. Had to work with 1 hand most of the time, but eventually got it all done. If you are tiny, you could prob. fit on the Battery side of the Engine and lean across it and be good. I woulda have done it that way, but I was good with just standing on the Trailer.

    The Piping is just regular Metal like a Car Exhaust, thats why I hit it with the Paint for corrosion resistance.
    I wish I was tiny lol...5'10" 185lbs...I don't fit in there very well. I'll try standing on the side of the trailer and reaching in with one arm.

  8. #8
    I was wondering the same things about my 08' speedster, But my boat does not have a "J" pipe on it mine comes out at a slight downward angle straight into the water box. I was thinking about getting a Gibson Exhaust for it but from the looks of it the one thats sold on here wont work on my boat. And one other thing I cant seem to find the guys that are running a Gibson muffler do you still run the waterbox or is that removed?

  9. #9
    ...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Hamptons, Long Island, New York
    Posts
    790
    +1
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by joehillbilly1 View Post
    I was wondering the same things about my 08' speedster, But my boat does not have a "J" pipe on it mine comes out at a slight downward angle straight into the water box. I was thinking about getting a Gibson Exhaust for it but from the looks of it the one thats sold on here wont work on my boat. And one other thing I cant seem to find the guys that are running a Gibson muffler do you still run the waterbox or is that removed?
    The Gibson replaces the Waterbox & the Resonator.

  10. #10
    The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Odessa, TX
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by joehillbilly1 View Post
    I was wondering the same things about my 08' speedster, But my boat does not have a "J" pipe on it mine comes out at a slight downward angle straight into the water box. I was thinking about getting a Gibson Exhaust for it but from the looks of it the one thats sold on here wont work on my boat. And one other thing I cant seem to find the guys that are running a Gibson muffler do you still run the waterbox or is that removed?
    Ahh you have the new X style water box and exhaust manifold. Don't know if you can do a Gibson just yet without buying a J-Pipe.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Please Help Me With My 1996 780 SLX
    By nick072010 in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 262
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 10:01 PM
  2. Will you help me with this GSX RFI please
    By sea-one in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 04:15 PM
  3. Please help me with my 06 RXP
    By jpesh in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 07:06 PM
  4. Please help me with my rxp!
    By jpesh in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM
  5. Sombody PLEASE help me with my @#$%@# pump!
    By NeVerMind in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 03:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •