Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pump questions

Pump questions

Well, after the fiasco of the "polaris tech" rebuilding my motor and forgetting to hone one jug, breaking exhaust manifold bolts off and permatexing them in, etc... I finally have the thing back together myself.

The engine runs great but now I fear I have put the pump back together incorrectly. My old motor had an old style coupler on it. The new motor I bought had a new style one. I pushed it in there and it turns but I can't go over 5-7mph without it just revving up and doing nothing (The coupler is still tight and turning while this occurs.) The one thing I notice is that the rubber bumper is missing off of the engine side of the ski (I didn't think that would be that big a deal.) Other than that the bearing is on the shaft.

In summation:

1. Ski vibrates big time on throttle blips (initial break in)
    2. Ski goes well up until 1/4 throttle and then revs out with no further movement.

Anyone have any idea what the likely culprit is on this basket case? Would misplacing the band clamps on the rubber sheath part of the shaft cause anything. Can I get pictures of a new style coupler bolted up? Thanks guys for all your help, I'd be lost without you!

Ben

+1
    Pull the drive shaft and see if the splines are damaged. It could be the new coupler or impeller as well.

Now if those items are in perfect working condition it's time to check for cavitation reasons such as a loose or leaking intake pump shoe.

Put up some photo's, we should be able to tell.

I pushed just the drive shaft into the coupler and there's no play whatsoever. All splines look good on both the pump and the drive shaft and I have no idea what to look for on the bearing. When I pulled the pump there was a ton of seaweed wrapped around the driveshaft though. Would this have been the problem or do you see anything else that jumps at you?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicCE View Post
    ...I have no idea what to look for on the bearing.
    Focus is a fuzzy, but be sure to grease up that through-hull bearing after you get it all re-installed.
    If the seals look worn, start planning to replace that through-hull bearing with a newer one.

When I pulled the pump there was a ton of seaweed wrapped around the drive shaft though. Would this have been the problem?
    Certainly having stuff in the pump can cause this sort of cavitation. It impedes the water flow, so the blades end up grabbing at 'air' pockets in the water.
    ...or do you see anything else that jumps at you?...
    The leading edges of the impeller blades look beat up.

If they are dinged and such, at least file them smooth, so the water can flow properly without turbulence as the blades spin. You want no folded over or blunted edges on the blades. Not knife edges, just nicely rounded and smooth.

The outside perimiter edges of each blade should be crisp, but without rolled over wear ridges.

Same goes for the fixed stator blades/vanes. File any little dings out.

If there are bigger chunks or bent blades or stator vanes, then think about replacing it for best performance.

+1
    a ton of seaweed around the shaft would definately cause that type of problem.

+1
    Make sure there's nothing left in the intake tract as well. Pay particular attention to the thru hull fitting. Occasionally if something fairly solid wraps around the drive shaft and wedges itself into the tunnel it can break or dislodge the fitting.
    After you're all assembled pour some water into the hull (with the nose pointed to the sky) and allow it to cover the thru hull fitting, verify no water is leaking out of the hull.

Yeah the edges of the impeller are a little rough but I'm not too concerned with top speed this year. I'd just like to finish the year and have some fun. I'll make sure to grease that through-hull bearing up good. How many clamps go around that rubber part for sealing? Could I get a picture from someone?

Last question. The grease zerk on this thing has a female end. I've never seen a hose with a male end. Are these easily found?
    Last edited by CynicCE; 07-21-2008 at 08:58 PM.

+1
    heres a disgram of your driveshaft assy.

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N...0-DRIVE-SYSTEM

You need a needle tip grease gun, available at you local hardware store. Often used to grease chainsaw bar end sprockets.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicCE View Post
    ...How many clamps go around that rubber part for sealing?
    Could I get a picture from someone?

Last question. The grease Zerk on this thing has a female end. I've never seen a hose with a male end. Are these easily found?
    That is a needle type grease fitting. You can get a needle end for your grease gun, or change the fitting to a standard Zerk type.

There are two hose clamps around the through-hull fitting. One right near the rear end of the rubber 'tube', the other near the front end. Here is my Virage, which has the newer style fitting (but the same mounting method as yours).

There is a third gear clamp (sitting loose in my pictures), which holds the plastic cover for the drive shaft coupler in place on the front side of the through-hull bearing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149961.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	84525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149970.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	84526  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Did you align the new engine to the pump?

Is there any rubber "shavings" inside the hull?

Hopefully it's just the sea weed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information