Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rough runnin...Plug Prob ?

Hey guys

I was up in Ludington, MI all of last week on vacation and my Ultra ran great all week until Saturday....

I launched it and putted my way for the outrageously long no-wake zone and my ski sounded "diffrent" but when I finally got out to the lake I hit the gas and it took for ever to get to the mid 40's mph and it is running real rough RPM's are dancing around and it sounds real bad coming through the exhaust....My first thought was fouled plug cuz it seems just about every other Ultra owner has ran into this at least once...I myself have not had a spark plug problem

So anyway I took it back to the harbor right away and on my way back in going through the no-wake zone I of course had to idle and it idled rough and sounded as if it wanted to die a few times I had to give her just a touch of throttle once in a while to keep her alive...So I get her on the trailer and back to the campsite and pull the intercooler just so I can take a peek inside and rule out water ingestion and there was not a drop of water in it I pulled the plugs and cranked the starter and nothing in the form of water came form the plug holes...So I run to Auto Zone, Advanced Auto and EVERY other auto part store in the area and no one had the plugs I need I even visited a Kawasaki dealer and they didnt have them....I am now back home from vacation and I have a set of plugs on order and should have them by tomorrow

My question if I throw the new plugs in there and it still runs bad what else can I check ( I have my fingers crossed it is just a fouled plug) Id like to take care of what ever problem this is by my self cuz my dealers turn around time on jet ski service is baaaaaaaad....If I drop it off now Id be lucky to get it back by the end of Aug

For those that have had a fouled plug what did your ski do what did it sound like and what were its symptoms ?

Thanks for your time guys
    Last edited by Ultra250xryder; 07-21-2008 at 07:59 PM.

I just posted a running bad problem Sunday night and one of the guys said it sounded like plugs , Sure enough after only 35 hours I put in my second set of plugs . I was sure it was something else .
    Put in plugs and you should be fine .

+1
    these plugs sound like a real issue i have my original plugs still in at 36hrs i was also given a spare set from kawasaki for the recall but yet to install them i have also removed my originals just to check gaps go figure seems very hit and miss for some!!! bit like the gio also some worse off than others!!

Put 2 sets of original plugs to have them go bad after only 12 or so hours . I've had no other issues with this ski yet so seems to me this is it's achilles heal .

amInuts
    NY land of finger lakes-great lakes & 1000 islands

same problem

read my reply to DavyBoy. It was meant for you, but seems a common issue. I'm new here. It's a good thing I know my way around my boat better than I do this or any forum. The Coast Gaurd would soon ignore my distress signals.

Thanks Guys !

Thanks guys for your help ...that eased my fear that it may be something worse...When I get home form work today I hope to see a little box in the mail box with my new spark plugs in it and I throw em in and hit the water...and Ill post the outcome !

The set I have in my ski now that went bad were the 2nd set Ive used since I bought my Ultra new back in Apr of 07....the dealer replaced the plugs once when I took my ski in for all the recalls and that set were the ones that went bad...so I never had a prob with the org plugs that the ski came with

i did replace my plugs too @ 26h
    and looks like same happening again
    now i have 12h on new plugs and seems like getting same problem.
    maybe there is better plugs to put in then they last longer?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250xryder View Post
    Thanks guys for your help ...that eased my fear that it may be something worse...When I get home form work today I hope to see a little box in the mail box with my new spark plugs in it and I throw em in and hit the water...and Ill post the outcome !

The set I have in my ski now that went bad were the 2nd set Ive used since I bought my Ultra new back in Apr of 07....the dealer replaced the plugs once when I took my ski in for all the recalls and that set were the ones that went bad...so I never had a prob with the org plugs that the ski came with

CR9EIX

Quote Originally Posted by noriu69 View Post
    i did replace my plugs too @ 26h
    and looks like same happening again
    now i have 12h on new plugs and seems like getting same problem.
    maybe there is better plugs to put in then they last longer?

thanks

Yes some are using the NGK CR9EIXs and are yet to have any sort of problem...I will put the NGK PMR9Bs in once more and if they foul again Ill go witht he CR9EIXs

Look in the posts above at sirbreaksalot's post he is having great luck with the CR9EIXs

My first set went bad at 17hrs.

+1
    I know you mentioned about not seeing water, but bad exhaust gaskets can cause the same problem. Also a fuel pump going bad was do the same. Any updates after the new plugs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information