Thread: Ideal Rideplate

Ideal Rideplate

Can anyone please post pics of there rideplate and how it meets up to the hull ?

I want to clean up my rideplate before I install my skegs.

Should I use 600grit and gride it all smooth and shiny ?
    I put a ruler down the rideplate and it has a gentle slant going at an upward angle.
    Is it ok to mill more out of the back of the rideplate so it slants more upward.

Also my hull sits higher than my rideplate. Has anyone used epoxy to make a slanted angle to the rideplate. I know Jerry worked on a mod to have them meet up but not sure if any pics were posted.
    For now I'd like to at least get the rideplate cleaned up before I put on the skegs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle
    Can anyone please post pics of there rideplate and how it meets up to the hull ?

I want to clean up my rideplate before I install my skegs.

Should I use 600grit and gride it all smooth and shiny ?
    I put a ruler down the rideplate and it has a gentle slant going at an upward angle.
    Is it ok to mill more out of the back of the rideplate so it slants more upward.

Also my hull sits higher than my rideplate. Has anyone used epoxy to make a slanted angle to the rideplate. I know Jerry worked on a mod to have them meet up but not sure if any pics were posted.
    For now I'd like to at least get the rideplate cleaned up before I put on the skegs.
    You can bend the rideplate by shimming it,on and off , on and off... This takes hr's to get it right.

Do you have to remove the whole rideplate to shim it. I think JD said you didn't....
    Is removing the rideplate just the 4 bolts or do you have to remove all the ones where the pump is.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    6 bolts hold the rideplate to the hull, not 4... and it comes off quite easily with a pump jack.

all the little torx bolts on top of the rideplate do not need to be removed.... remove those bolts only lets u separate the halves and have access to the gasket and coolant channels.

also, you can't sand too much of the rideplate before all 30 something of those torx bolts start coming thru the rideplate... it's NOT thick

if u ride in salt water and ur gonna sand the rideplate to a shine, be prepared to maintain the rideplate as your part time job (i.e. rinsing and wiping and spraying it down after each ride with a lube or WD-40)

I ride in lake water and plan on keeping the ski until she keels over. Does sanding to a shine have any performance gain. I know you and Jerry did it. Did you do any shimming on your rideplate Shibby? I think I'll sand it before I do the skegs and then shim it over the winter to meet it up with the hull.
    Last edited by Kinchyle; 07-22-2006 at 09:40 AM.

So do you want the hump in the rideplate or should it be angled ?

So I'm sanding the rideplate down with some 60 grit automotive to put on the skegs.....

this think is so bumpy and has lots of curves. It's like a fat girl with chicken pocks.

Should I smooth out the humps and make the 3 main plates go at a straight angle back ? For at least the main plate section in on the bottom should I just make it go straight back at an angle instead of hump down ?

The back end of the RXT's rideplate and hull needs lot of work !
    I'm going to get the skegs going and get some baselines then start sanding and see speed differences. I'm also going to play with knife edging all the round edges of the transom in the back. I just knife edged the rideplate. Once I feel pretty comfortable with the speed changes I'm going to shim.

...also going to sand out with 600 the back half of the hull. I did 1000 before

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    kinch of u wanting to know what part of the hull touches the water on the 3-seaters at top speed... it's from the handle-bars to the end... and obviously not the entire width of the bottom. start at a point near the handlebars and then taper it back to a V and the whole back end of the ski is always in contact with the water at top speed.

Thread Information