2001 Polaris Virage starting problems

Hello everyone! I'm glad to find this site..Newbie here. I recently started to help a friend with his 2001 Virage. I'm mechanical inclined but not PWC inclined. So here it goes.
    The Virage had been sitting for a year. I recomended he drain the gas. Tried to start it..but it wouldnt(No spark). So i replaced the ignition coil..it started right up..but once in the water, it would bog out at 3000rpms. After reading a few postings..I rebuilt the carb and fuel lines. It ran great! For a few hours. What i didnt know was that the oil tank had a leak on the top. Where the sensor is? Eventhough the gauge says half full..it was empty and the engine shut off. I dont think the engine blew because it didnt lock up or make any strange noise. So we added oil..but nothing..no spark.. It cranks but nothing.. Did we blow the coil? Is there a sensor saying for it not to start up? I checked the black box and there are no blown fuses and the reset switch is not pushed out either.. I'm stumped. Any help would be great.. Thanks in advance

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Have you confirmed you have in excess of 10.6 volts at the battery posts, measured with a multi-meter, during cranking?

Really should be 11.0 volts or better.

If not OVER 10.6 volts during cranking, then install a new/healthy battery.

Update...When we rebuilt the carb, we bought a new battery..perhaps the battery is not giving enough cranking power?

+1
    What voltage do you have during cranking?

That is the definition of a good battery - one that delivers voltage while under heavy load. If it really is a new, charged battery, you should have well over 11.0 volts during cranking.

Well, according to the voltage on the instrument panel..it indicates 11.5-12.2

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty771 View Post
    Well, according to the voltage on the instrument panel..it indicates 11.5-12.2
    You cannot rely on the instrument panel for this test. Must use a multi-meter right on the battery posts.

Thanks for your help so far...Tried to work on it today..Tried a better battery from my Sea Doo.. Still no spark.. The funny thing is that when it ran out of oil..my friend took it home and bought some oil. Put it in..and it started but struggled..still it would start.. Now with a good battery.. it wont. Is there a sensor for the oil that tells the motor not to start or something? With that oil cap that was loose with the sensor(now tied down) be malfunctioning? I read a post about a stator? Maybe a short?

Is it possible that the oil pump got ruined when it ran out of oil? I tried to see if oil would come out of the hose that leads to the carb...nothing. Is it suppose to pump into the carb? I still thinking electrical...

+1
    Put a meter on the battery, and confirm proper voltage.

There is no link between low oil and not starting. The display will warn about the oil level, and the CDI may limit engine RPM, but neither will prevent starting.

Once you have confirmed you really do have plenty of battery voltage during cranking, then you can do further diagnostics.

You have downloaded the 2002 Service Manual?

Work through some of the diagnostics in there, AFTER you confirm the battery power.

Thread Information