Marsh_454

Angry 96 polaris trouble

I have a 1996 polaris sltx, I took it to a mechanic and he tore the ski apart and left town so i got th ski back in parts. i ordered a top end kit from sbt and put it back together by following a polaris watercraft book. i took the ski out to the lake and the front cylinder got hot enough to burn a hole in the head and out the side of the head water cover. so i put a new cylinder on it and it still gets hott can anyone help.

You might be running that cylinder really lean. I've never heard of anyone burning a hole in the head.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Could the cylinder gaskets be installed incorrectly (or the wrong gaskets), top or bottom of the jug, restricting water flow through the head?
    Excess sealant on the gaskets?

Have you checked that you do indeed have proper cooling water flow through the rest of the engine?
    No stuck thermostat, no clogged water intake screen (inside the jet pump nozzle), water hoses are routed correctly, and so on...

Marsh_454

Thumbs up

i have back flushed the pump and didnt find anything and i cleaned all the hoses and the water jackets. i rebuilt the carbs yesterday and i am goin to put a new thermostat and pop off valve. then will see what happens

Marsh_454

Unhappy

yes i took the ski out and it ran perfect i rode the ski for about 3 hours. the next day i took the ski out and it ran good then lost power. i took the ski how and middle cylinder head had blown the head gasket. all the bolts were loose except one and one the head popped off the studd. what caused that??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsh_454 View Post
    ...ran good then lost power. I took the ski home and middle cylinder head had blown the head gasket.
    all the bolts were loose except one and one the head popped off the stud.
    what caused that??
    Did the head nuts simply get loose, or are the threads stripped or worn down (studs or nuts)?

Have you checked the squish clearance with the Wonderful SBT pistons??
    DETONATION will cause the head bolts to come loose and by the sounds of the problems you have had since putting this back together it sounds like you have a deto problem going on for sure

1. Check Squish Clearance and check with the Polaris manual and see if its within spec
    2. What is the cranking compression??
    3. Check the engine timing and make sure its correct to Polaris specs
    4. Make sure your cooling is working correct and that you have the hose routing correct. If the engine is getting hot then that adds to the detonation problem!! Make sure the thermostat is working
    5.The Stock Polaris heads are prone to cracking and will leak water into the combustion chamber. This will also cause excessive heat in add to detonation issues
    6. Make sure you are running the correct spark plugs and gap
    7. Make sure your Carbs and fuel flow is correct and the engine is not running lean
    8.Check the crank index to make you're not going to have any other issues as well.
    I also believe you want the squish to be no tighter than .060 If you are in the .040 zone, I don't think you'll ever keep it together.

How about a picture of the piston tops, bottoms and domes?

Thanks AL I meant to put that in as well
    Last edited by prochamp; 07-27-2008 at 04:20 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by prochamp View Post
    Have you checked the squish clearance with the Wonderful SBT pistons??
    DETONATION will cause the head bolts to come loose and by the sounds of the problems you have had since putting this back together it sounds like you have a deto problem going on for sure

1. Check Squish Clearance and check with the Polaris manual and see if its within spec
    2. What is the cranking compression??
    3. Check the engine timing and make sure its correct to Polaris specs
    4. Makes ure your cooling is working correct and that you have the hose routing correct. If the engine is getting hot then that adds to the detonation problem/ Make sure hte thermostat is working
    5.The Stock Polaris heads are prone to cracking and will leak water into the combustion chamber. This will also cause excessive heat in add to detonation issues
    6. Make sure you are running the correct spark plugs and gap
    7. Make sure your Carbs and fuel flow is correct and the engine is not running lean
    8.Check the crank index to make you're not going to have any other issues as well.
    I also believe you want the squish to be no tighter than .060 If you are in the .040 zone, I don't think you'll ever keep it together.
    How about a picture of the piston tops, bottoms and domes?

Marsh_454

Thumbs up

when i put the heads back on the ski i used blue lock tight on the head bolts and took it out on the lake. the ski runs like a top and i havent had any further problems thanks guys

+1
    Glad it was just a carb issue for the holed piston. Have you replaced that fuel line yet?
    On the center cylinder, do you suppose you just forgot to torque the nuts on original installation?

Thread Information