Is it OK to leave your PWC in the water for a week?

Hi,
    This may be a dumb question but Im heading up to cottage country and was going to leave my PWC in the water by the dock for the entire 7 days. Im just wondering if anyone sees a problem with that.

#1. Anyone know if it matters if I keep the PWC in the water for the full week? I believe it should be ok but I just dont want to damage the machine.

#2. I have heard when your pwc breaks down and someone is towing you back in that you need to pinch off a line so water doesnt get into the engine. Anyone know what line you are supposed to pinch off?

Thanks for your help.

RiverRat19405, im a rat in the water RiverRat19405's Avatar
    AS long as the ski doesnt leak sitting in water for a week wont hurt it an i think its the water in line you need to pinch offback of ski use fuel line crimpers can get them at any auto store for a few bucks an keep them in the ski hope this helps

+1
    Depending Upon The Lake, You Might Want To Put A Nice Coat Of Wax On The Ski. Lakes Down Here Are So Muddy, You Would Have A Nice Ring Around Your Ski After 1 Week

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by holdem_up View Post
    Hi,
    This may be a dumb question but I'm heading up to cottage country and was going to leave my PWC in the water by the dock for the entire 7 days. I'm just wondering if anyone sees a problem with that.

#1. Anyone know if it matters if I keep the PWC in the water for the full week?
    I believe it should be OK but I just don't want to damage the machine.
    Make sure your through-hull bearing+seal is in good shape, and grease it before you put it in the water, run it a bit, then grease it again. The grease keeps the water from seeping inside the bearing and causing rust.

If you can, put it in the water with the hull dry inside, leave it for the day without riding it, and see how much, if any water, gets inside. Check it every so often through the day, of course.

If you can't do that, then grease up the bearing, then tilt the nose way up, and put water inside the hull. Enough to cover the drive shaft where it enters the bearing. Leave it like that for a while, and look for leaks under the hull.

Mine only get water inside when I am riding, it will float dry for days. Before you ride each day, check for water in the bilge. Figure out how you are going to drain it if you do accumulate water.

#2. I have heard when your PWC breaks down and someone is towing you back in that you need to pinch off a line so water doesn't get into the engine.
    Anyone know what line you are supposed to pinch off?
    You can either clamp off the large 3/4" hose where the water comes in from the jet pump, OR you can clamp off the smaller hose that feeds the actual exhaust water spray.

Hose pinch pliers are sold in a number of places, including some Marine suppliers. Choose one with a latching clamp handle, made of plastic, that will fit your hose size.

Some owners install a ball valve in the water line, so they can easily shut off the water. Of course, you need to be 100% sure the valve is open before you start the engine.

Give the hull a good waxing to minimize the amount of lake crud that sticks to the hull while it is sitting.

Make sure you have fenders or ropes to keep the hull from rubbing and scraping against the dock for the week.

Enjoy your cottage time!

Thread Information