Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need help removing domes

Hey everyone, I'm new here and thought I would ask for some help. I am trying to remove the domes from my 2000 Pro 1200 to take a look at the inside because the engine is locked. Is there any trick to getting them off? I have removed the four bolts on the red dome cover and I can turn them like a screw (left or right) with my hands, but they will not lift up off the cylinders. Any advice? Am I doing something wrong? I am new to these engines, but not new to this kind of work, as I do all my own work on my race car (522whp Nissan). Any help would be appreciated, I had a few hours to work on it this morning and I can't get the covers off. Thanks!

+1
    Hi Justin, Welcome to Green Hulk!
    Sorry for the long wait for a responce.

I assume you have the water rail removed ,if you can twist the red dome cover.
    The cover has 2 o-rings,1 between the cover and cylinder,the other is between the spark plug opening and the cover-that silver/aluminum is the head. I would have to say the o-ring is stuck to the head.
    Keep pulling up and twisting,try some WD-40,it will pop off.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Hi Justin, Welcome to Green Hulk!
    Sorry for the long wait for a responce.

I assume you have the water rail removed ,if you can twist the red dome cover.
    The cover has 2 o-rings,1 between the cover and cylinder,the other is between the spark plug opening and the cover-that silver/aluminum is the head. I would have to say the o-ring is stuck to the head.
    Keep pulling up and twisting,try some WD-40,it will pop off.

Hey thanks for the reply. I ended up getting them off, had to kinda pry at them a little bit. The pistons appear to be ok, the only thing thatI can see that I think would cause the engine to lock is the center cylinder has a little bit of surface rust (looks like it will come off with a quick pass of a bottle brush honer or ultra fine steel wool). You think that would cause the engine to lock? Oil system was working fine, eveything was great before it sat for about 8-12 months. I went and fired the 700 right up and this one just clicks. Though it was a starter, but the engine won't turn over at all, even with the pump removed. If the starter was locked up, would it be possible that it could be engaged and cause the engine to lock up? Any input or help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinVero View Post
    ...Thought it was a starter, but the engine won't turn over at all, even with the pump removed. If the starter was locked up, would it be possible that it could be engaged and cause the engine to lock up?
    If the Bendix/starter is jammed into the flywheel, then the engine will not be able to rotate.

Sounds like you need to remove the flywheel cover, and see if the Bendix is engaged against the flywheel teeth.

Have you downloaded a Service Manual?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    It could be that the bendix is locked up,but I doubt it.I would soak the edge of all the pistons for a couple of days with a little transmission fluid and see if you can work the crank back and forth.What position is the center piston in..Top,bottom,halfway?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If the Bendix/starter is jammed into the flywheel, then the engine will not be able to rotate.

Sounds like you need to remove the flywheel cover, and see if the Bendix is engaged against the flywheel teeth.

Have you downloaded a Service Manual?
    Thats what I was worried about with the starter or bendix. I guess the engine needs to be pulled to remove the flywheel cover? Doesn't seem like enough room there to pull it off. I have tried downloading a service manual, I'd love one. However, all the links around here and other forums I've seen don't have the manual for 2000's. They all stop at 1999, and I don't know enough about these things to know what/if anything is interchangeable. Do you have a link for a 2000 PRO1200 manual? If you did I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    It could be that the bendix is locked up,but I doubt it.I would soak the edge of all the pistons for a couple of days with a little transmission fluid and see if you can work the crank back and forth.What position is the center piston in..Top,bottom,halfway?

I was kinda thinking the the odds that that is what locked my engine are pretty slim, but I guess you never know. The center piston is almost all the way down, and all the valves are exposed on both sides, so I can't pour anything in there and let it soak, because it would just run down in the valaves to the case. I assume that when the center piston is all the way down, the other two would be at top dead center, right? If so, the other two pistons are still about and inch or so from the top, so I don't think that the center piston is down all the way, but almost. Could I maybe cut a 2x4 to fit and put it in the cylinder and tap it with a rubber mallet to try to break it loose? Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    You didn't mention that you pulled the pump. Are you sure the pump is not locked up?

Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    You didn't mention that you pulled the pump. Are you sure the pump is not locked up?

Yeah I pulled it already and it still won't turn over. I said it in my second post ...

Quote Originally Posted by JustinVero View Post
    Though it was a starter, but the engine won't turn over at all, even with the pump removed.
    Any other ideas? I appreciate your input for sure!

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Oops, I missed that. I'd still try what Keddano suggested, even if most of the tranny fluid goes into the case. Some will get to the rings and may help. The center cylinder may not be stuck. It seems to me that if it was, you would see something wrong w/ that cylinder, like scuffs or aluminum on the walls.
    Post some pics?

Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    Oops, I missed that. I'd still try what Keddano suggested, even if most of the tranny fluid goes into the case. Some will get to the rings and may help. The center cylinder may not be stuck. It seems to me that if it was, you would see something wrong w/ that cylinder, like scuffs or aluminum on the walls.
    Post some pics?
    Sure thing, here are some pics. I would have expected to see some damage in the cylinder if it was locked as well. The only possible thing I thought might have happened is that the surface rust is not allowing the piston to slide freely, or maybe the rings are stuck to the cylinder walls? Hopefully it's not too hard to fix, as I would like to have it running by next Friday so I can take them out for my cousin's birthday. The white dot in the rear cyliner pic was some corrosion dust that I accidentally dropped in. By the way, which way are the cylinders numbered? IE is the front one number 1 or number 3 (so I can quit calling them Front middle and rear). Let me know what you think, thank you!

EDIT: Better pics now posted on next page!
    Last edited by JustinVero; 07-24-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information