Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Value of 1995 XP

I need a little advice from you Sea Doo experts.

I'm heading out on vacation this Friday (on a lake all next week). The problem is the engine on my Polaris SLT780 (3-seater) is on the workbench. I think I may be able to get it back together in time to lake test it before I leave. However, if I can't get that done I don't want to spend an entire week just looking out at the lake.

Here's the deal. The mechanic that I take my boat to has 2 - 1995 Sea-Doo XP's on a double trailer. I was talking with him the other day and he offered them to me for $3500, trailer and all. One of the ski's has the original engine, and the VTS works fine. I'm not sure how many hours on the engine. The other has an SBT reman (yeah I know, I've dealt with SBT's in my Polaris so I know all the potential baggage that comes with that). Also, on the SBT boat the VTS works, but the high limit switch doesn't appear to be functional. Both have a fair amount of fading on the hood.

My backup plan to salvage my vacation, in the event I don't get the Polaris done, is to buy the XP's and use them next week, then sell them either this fall or next spring.

I looked up the NADA value and it shows about $1400 for average retail without a trailer. The same is true for the 96's but then there's a huge jump to almost $2600 for the 97 models. Is there some huge difference in the 97's that makes them more valuable?

Anyway, I think $3500 is too high for this pair of skis. What do you guys thing would be a reasonable offer on these? I don't want to offend him, but I also don't want to spend more than I can get out of these re-selling them.

Thanks.

KJ

+1
    where are you located and are these xp800's or the ones with the 720 engine?

the 97xp was the next gen of xp hull with the shock seat. it was the same hull used up to 2004 but with the 951 engine in it.

if you were up here in canada, you could probably sell each xp for $3000 then the trailer for $800, but it depends what the market is like where you live.

+1
    Thanks for the quick reply.

These both have 751, 2 cylinder engines in them.

I'm located in central Illinois and to be honest, I really haven't watched the market so I don't know for sure what kind of selling prices we have around here.

One other thought I had was to buy these and then keep the better of the two, put my Polaris 3-seater on the double trailer, and then sell one of the Sea-Doo's on my single trailer. But, this is my 3rd major engine problem in the Polaris in 4 years of ownership, so quite frankly I'm about ready just to ditch the PWC's altogether and just put the cash toward a bigger, newer boat.

I know, you have to pay to play. But geez, it seems like I wrench on things more than I ride them.

With all the wrenching I've done on the Polaris I've become pretty familiar with it. I don't have the first clue on the Sea-Doo's

KJ
    Last edited by johnsonmtz; 07-22-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: additional info

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Kelly Blue Book says $1500 US, mint condition. but like posted above...depends on what the market is like in your area. You are in my neighborhood so probly not gonna get $3000 a piece, maybe total. Where you located anyways? MTZ stand for MT. Zion? Are they both white and yellow or do you have the all yellow skis?
    Last edited by airbornexp; 07-22-2008 at 12:28 PM.

I'd go $3000 max. You'll love the X4 Hull too!!! I have a feeling if you buy these you'll never look back!! lol

There's a how too somewhere here about how to bring life back into the faded front covers on these. Something to the effect of going over the faded plastic parts lightly with steel wool or what not, and it takes off the top faded layer. Do a search, it was posted recently.

There's alot of older XP owners, or past owners here. So you should have a ton of support if decide to get em.

Good luck!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Kelly Blue Book says $1500 US, mint condition. but like posted above...depends on what the market is like in your area. You are in my neighborhood so probly not gonna get $3000 a piece, maybe total. Where you located anyways? MTZ stand for MT. Zion? Are they both white and yellow or do you have the all yellow skis?
    Yes, I'm in Mt. Zion. The skis are all yellow and he's asking $3500 for the complete package. I was thinking around $3K might be reasonable for me to be able to unload them with minimal or no less when I resell them.

Do you ride at Shelbyville mostly? I'm not sure where these skis were used previously, but this guy's kids use them almost exclusively on Lake Decatur now.

Ever since I've had the Polaris I've always wished for a hull that is more "playful". Don't get me wrong, if you want a stable, rock solid ride that SLT is fantastic. You can take 2 adults and kid and be completely stable the entire time. However, you really have to muscle that thing if you want to carve or really jump wakes.

So what's the big deal with the X4 hull? He said these things are very tipsy and you really have to balance yourself at idle. But flat out they are a wild ride.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Yes, I'm in Mt. Zion. The skis are all yellow and he's asking $3500 for the complete package. I was thinking around $3K might be reasonable for me to be able to unload them with minimal or no less when I resell them.

Do you ride at Shelbyville mostly? I'm not sure where these skis were used previously, but this guy's kids use them almost exclusively on Lake Decatur now.

Ever since I've had the Polaris I've always wished for a hull that is more "playful". Don't get me wrong, if you want a stable, rock solid ride that SLT is fantastic. You can take 2 adults and kid and be completely stable the entire time. However, you really have to muscle that thing if you want to carve or really jump wakes.

So what's the big deal with the X4 hull? He said these things are very tipsy and you really have to balance yourself at idle. But flat out they are a wild ride.
    They are only tipsey when trying to board from the water. Or if you turn the all the way in either direction when idling. Otherwise, they're fine. Don't let that be factor in buying.

If it's all yellow, then it's a 96 XP. Which has the 787 engine with 110 HP.

Does it have a speedometer or a tach on the right hand side?? 95s had a tach, 96s had a speedo.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I'm origionally from Decatur, thats where my skis are to. i usually ride decatur but make the occasional trip to shelbyville. Im not riding anywhere right now...been rebuilding my ski for about a year.

there not that bad. i would equate them to a street bike on the water. Light, nimble and haul azz. not great in rough water with two people though. i usually stand on mine 98% of the time.
    If they are all yellow and 95's, as you think they are, is there a pink bottom back end on them? and if the hood has no mirrors ? if yes those are the 95xp800's very rare! other wise if they have mirrors and all yellow they are 96's. If you dont want to buy two let me know I'll gladly buy the other. ive been looking for a local 95-96 XP 800.
    Last edited by airbornexp; 07-22-2008 at 05:31 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply.

These both have 751, 2 cylinder engines in them.

I'm located in central Illinois and to be honest, I really haven't watched the market so I don't know for sure what kind of selling prices we have around here.

One other thought I had was to buy these and then keep the better of the two, put my Polaris 3-seater on the double trailer, and then sell one of the Sea-Doo's on my single trailer. But, this is my 3rd major engine problem in the Polaris in 4 years of ownership, so quite frankly I'm about ready just to ditch the PWC's altogether and just put the cash toward a bigger, newer boat.

I know, you have to pay to play. But geez, it seems like I wrench on things more than I ride them.

With all the wrenching I've done on the Polaris I've become pretty familiar with it. I don't have the first clue on the Sea-Doo's

KJ

751 motors i think are also refered to as the 800 engine too....in 95 they made mostly 720cc xp's and made only a handfull of the 800cc xp's from what i've heard each seadoo dealership was supposedly allowed to get two of these skis each(this is what i was told) for the racing enthusiests(sp)....i was in the same situation you were last summer...my polaris broke down and i just had enough and just sold it...and ended up purchasing a 95 xp800, speed wise i've been able to get around 57mph...but there are ALOT of aftermarket parts available for them...the x-4 hull is alot better than the polaris hull, the x-4 hull is more of a speed/handling hull, while the polaris hull is just good for curising along....trust me, if you do decide to get these skis you might not want to get rid of them there so fun....i just thought i would share my experience with you

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    751 motors i think are also refered to as the 800 engine too....in 95 they made mostly 720cc xp's and made only a handfull of the 800cc xp's from what i've heard each seadoo dealership was supposedly allowed to get two of these skis each(this is what i was told) for the racing enthusiests(sp)....i was in the same situation you were last summer...my polaris broke down and i just had enough and just sold it...and ended up purchasing a 95 xp800, speed wise i've been able to get around 57mph...but there are ALOT of aftermarket parts available for them...the x-4 hull is alot better than the polaris hull, the x-4 hull is more of a speed/handling hull, while the polaris hull is just good for curising along....trust me, if you do decide to get these skis you might not want to get rid of them there so fun....i just thought i would share my experience with you

787 is the engine refered to as the "800" motor.

+1 to being a blast!!!! They are the crotch rocket of the water!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information