Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need advise on proper expoy for depth sounder puck.

I had it installed and working somewhat but it would loose its lock frequently. I know the reason is because I used the wrong stuff. I could only find 60 minute epoxy and it was grey when mixed. The manufacturer calls for 24 hour clear epoxy, problem is I cant find any locally. Does anyone have a link to the proper stuff?

Banned User
    +1
    http://www.rd-performance.com/catalo...l%20Components

I used the R&D hull glue, it sets in about 30 minutes, and is like concrete when cured. Its kinda spendy, but you will find other uses for the remainder. It comes in two seprate tubes, so you don't have to use all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by cfnnslsq View Post
    I had it installed and working somewhat but it would loose its lock frequently. I know the reason is because I used the wrong stuff. I could only find 60 minute epoxy and it was grey when mixed. The manufacturer calls for 24 hour clear epoxy, problem is I cant find any locally. Does anyone have a link to the proper stuff?
    Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy their Devcon or other brand 30 minute epoxy. It's 2 parts of clear liquid, use equal parts. Clean the area thoroughly with laquer thinner or denatured alchol and clean the surface of the puck. I also roughed up my puck with fine sand paper to enhance adhesion. Let it set overnight.

I bought the hawkeye micro and just got back from 2 weeks on vacation at the lake. I experimented with numerous mounting locations for the sounder. NONE of them worked well. Well, I only tried two and got very frustrated that the sounder only worked at rest and lost its lock anything above idle.

I had to put the boat in the water to test it, but when its in water there is always bilge water under the gas tank. I was going to chance it and just epoxy it in in that so called stock location but it just wouldn't stay dry for more than 5 minutes.

Still frustrated with the performance of the sounder. Anyone else have a similar experience.?

I've got the Hawkeye in my Sportster. I epoxied it in that spot right below and behind the gas tank. It worked great for about a month and a half, then all of a sudden stopped working altogether for a month or so... and most recently when I went out last weekend it worked about half the time.

For me, it's all or none. I don't have problem with it working at speed or idle - when it works! Even up to about 40mph it was still working. I suspect that there are air bubbles in the epoxy or fiberglass that hinders the signal a bit.

Have you tried it outside the hull? I'm considering getting another puck to temporarily mount on the transom somehow and see how that works. When you tried it in both locations did you use any petroleum jelly between the hull and puck? I stuck the puck down there on some jelly and jammed a rag between the tank and the puck to keep it there temporarily and went down to the lake to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by ausgezeichnet7 View Post
    For me, it's all or none. I don't have problem with it working at speed or idle - when it works! Even up to about 40mph it was still working. I suspect that there are air bubbles in the epoxy or fiberglass that hinders the signal a bit.
    Ausgezeichnet and vWDavid, contact Patrick at [email protected]. He can work on your problem. Mention 'Larry in Jax and Greenhulk site' and he will help.

Thanks, I've e-mailed Patrick and they have a new digital processor to better manage with through hull installs.

Is this a free upgrade or are we expected to buy a new unit. I ask because I have tried three different types of epoxies. One cost me over 60 bucks and my depth sounder would still crap out over half of the time so I am in the same boat(no pun intended) as you. This new processor must be really new as I have only had my depth sounder for a few months....

Quote Originally Posted by cfnnslsq View Post
    Is this a free upgrade or are we expected to buy a new unit. I ask because I have tried three different types of epoxies. One cost me over 60 bucks and my depth sounder would still crap out over half of the time so I am in the same boat(no pun intended) as you. This new processor must be really new as I have only had my depth sounder for a few months....
    I'd like to know too! Bought it in April. Waiting in suspense for the response...

I just bought mine in June. Yes, it seems like a free silent upgrade. Send your DSM in and they send you a new one. Just e-mail Patrick with your problem and he will let you know the details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information