With an 05 RXT, how would I know if there was a problem with the supercharger????

What are the symptoms of a bad supercharger?

Can I only tell if the super charger is bad with the ski in the water?

Will the engine still run if the ceramic washers have broken and gone into the engine?

Is a test ride a must when buying a used ski?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI-SE4426 View Post
    What are the symptoms of a bad supercharger? Go Wide open throttle, if you are at 7000+rpms=OK, 6400rpms=BAD!!!

Can I only tell if the super charger is bad with the ski in the water? NO, pull yhe intake off the S/C, stick your finger in the S/C intake, if you can spin the wheel by hand, don't walk away, FRACKIN RUN!!!
    BUT the best way is to run it in the water...

Will the engine still run if the ceramic washers have broken and gone into the engine? YES, but see above...

Is a test ride a must when buying a used ski? yup, ESPECIALLY if you don't know the ski/owner...

thanks.
    see above, and good luck...

JP

What are the symptoms of a bad supercharger?

Can I only tell if the super charger is bad with the ski in the water?

Will the engine still run if the ceramic washers have broken and gone into the engine?

Is a test ride a must when buying a used ski?

thanks.
    Don't guess...get metal washers installed by Jerry, yourself or your dealer ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Don't guess...get metal washers installed by Jerry, yourself or your dealer ASAP
    If I buy I will replace the washers immediately, trust me. This information is just for inspection purposes.

The reason I asked if it would still run is because I do not want the guy to turn it on and say "look the engine and supercharger are fine, if something was wrong it would not work."

Okay, so I can take of the SC and spin the wheel in the intake to check it.

Spin=bad

No spin=okay

Are there hidden problems that could exist besides the supercharger that I might not notice, or is the supercharger the main problem to look out for?

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Okay, so I can take of the SC and spin the wheel in the intake to check it.

Spin=bad

No spin=okay

Are there hidden problems that could exist besides the supercharger that I might not notice, or is the supercharger the main problem to look out for?
    Actually is the long rubber hose that goes across the back of the engine you need to take off to access the SC.

okay so the SC does not need to be removed, just the intake hose, is that where the wheel that I am not supposed to be able to spin is located?

If I buy I will replace the washers immediately, trust me. This information is just for inspection purposes.

The reason I asked if it would still run is because I do not want the guy to turn it on and say "look the engine and supercharger are fine, if something was wrong it would not work."
    Engine will still run even if the washers are gone.
    You have to pull the 3" intake hose off the sc intake and try to spin the supercharger wheel with the engine off, of course. If it turns fairly easy then the washers are toast, if it just has gear slop and is hard to turn at all then the washers are probably still in place.

You will be making a big mistake if you don't run it on the water. If it runs 7800-8100 rpms it's ok, if it runs 6500 it's not. However, that does not mean that the ceramic washers have never failed and are lurking around in the in the engine. It just means that the SC is OK now. You might get the VIN and have a dealer run it to see what warranty work has been done. You might also require the seller to disclose any and all work and damage that has occured to the ski in a notorized document. That's done with boats all the time. Finally, if the ski ever got hydrolocked and bent a rod, you would probably not know unless you did a compression test or the engine went boom a few hours down the road... Ron

Good point, I have a local service shop who can do full diagnostics and lake test for $230, that is a decent price.

Thread Information