With an 05 RXT, how would I know if there was a problem with the supercharger????

What are the symptoms of a bad supercharger?

Can I only tell if the super charger is bad with the ski in the water?

Will the engine still run if the ceramic washers have broken and gone into the engine?

Is a test ride a must when buying a used ski?

thanks

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GTI-SE4426 View Post
    What are the symptoms of a bad supercharger?

Can I only tell if the super charger is bad with the ski in the water?

Will the engine still run if the ceramic washers have broken and gone into the engine?

Is a test ride a must when buying a used ski?

thanks
    Symtoms of a bad SC are lack of whine when the engine revs. Low RPMS at WOT(this only works in water the 4-tec will hit the limiter on the trailer anyway) i.e.6400 instead of 7800-8100. You can also tell by pulling off the intake hose and trying to spin the wheel by hand.

Okay, so I can take of the SC and spin the wheel in the intake to check it.

Spin=bad

No spin=okay

Are there hidden problems that could exist besides the supercharger that I might not notice, or is the supercharger the main problem to look out for?

Okay I can take of the SC and spin the wheel in the intake.

Spin=bad

No spin=okay

Are there hidden problems that could exist besides the supercharger that I might not notice, or is the supercharger the main problem?
    SC is the major one. Flywheel bolts is another one but that is next to impossible check in the ski. Its one you should address if you buy it.

how do you mean "address if I buy it"?

is it not that big of a deal or that expensive to fix?

The ski I am looking at is an 05 RXT with 27 hours, selling for $4800, so if there are problems the savings is more than enough to fix a few things up if there are minor fixes needed.

Should I demand a test drive?

He is claiming that sheduling might not work out to accomodate that. Also I should mention there is no hour gauge on the ski as it has broken so I need to trust him or have him take it to the dealership with me to verify which is sounds like he does not say he has the time for.

how do you mean "address if I buy it"?

is it not that big of a deal or that expensive to fix?

The ski I am looking at is an 05 RXT with 27 hours, selling for $4800, so if there are problems the savings is more than enough to fix a few things up if there are minor fixes needed.

Should I demand a test drive?

He is claiming that sheduling might not work out to accomodate that. Also I should mention there is no hour gauge on the ski as it has broken so I need to trust him or have him take it to the dealership with me to verify which is sounds like he does not say he has the time for.
    The stock fly wheel bolts have tendancy to shear for no apparent reason on 04-05 models, the good news is if that happens the ski shouldn't run, or at least won't run worth a crap. Its a small issue of preventaive maintenance if the stock ones are still intact, about $150 if you are willing to change them yourself. A test drive is always best, but do trust you judgement and instinct, if it smells like a bad deal it probably is. Don't worry too much after all we know about more types of failures then most dealers here, and there are skis that don't get the PMs we advise that last over 100 hrs.

Right on. Information is a blessing and a curse at the same time. It is always good to know what you are getting into but sometimes there is so much to think about and inspect that nothing seems to be a good deal. Thanks for all the info though, I would rather be informed than a sucker!

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    That price is way low for a low hour machine. So we know it needs a instrument cluster if the hours don't show. What else could be wrong with it?

that is what I am trying to figure out. I have a dealer (Berts Mega Mall) who will check everything and give it a full lake test for $250, that is good piece of mind.

Thread Information