Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    75

    With an 05 RXT, how would I know if there was a problem with the supercharger????

    What are the symptoms of a bad supercharger?

    Can I only tell if the super charger is bad with the ski in the water?

    Will the engine still run if the ceramic washers have broken and gone into the engine?

    Is a test ride a must when buying a used ski?

    thanks


  2. #2
    The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Odessa, TX
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by GTI-SE4426 View Post
    What are the symptoms of a bad supercharger?

    Can I only tell if the super charger is bad with the ski in the water?

    Will the engine still run if the ceramic washers have broken and gone into the engine?

    Is a test ride a must when buying a used ski?

    thanks
    Symtoms of a bad SC are lack of whine when the engine revs. Low RPMS at WOT(this only works in water the 4-tec will hit the limiter on the trailer anyway) i.e.6400 instead of 7800-8100. You can also tell by pulling off the intake hose and trying to spin the wheel by hand.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    75
    Okay, so I can take of the SC and spin the wheel in the intake to check it.

    Spin=bad

    No spin=okay

    Are there hidden problems that could exist besides the supercharger that I might not notice, or is the supercharger the main problem to look out for?

  4. #4
    The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Odessa, TX
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by GTI-SE4426 View Post
    Okay I can take of the SC and spin the wheel in the intake.

    Spin=bad

    No spin=okay

    Are there hidden problems that could exist besides the supercharger that I might not notice, or is the supercharger the main problem?
    SC is the major one. Flywheel bolts is another one but that is next to impossible check in the ski. Its one you should address if you buy it.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    75
    how do you mean "address if I buy it"?

    is it not that big of a deal or that expensive to fix?

    The ski I am looking at is an 05 RXT with 27 hours, selling for $4800, so if there are problems the savings is more than enough to fix a few things up if there are minor fixes needed.

    Should I demand a test drive?

    He is claiming that sheduling might not work out to accomodate that. Also I should mention there is no hour gauge on the ski as it has broken so I need to trust him or have him take it to the dealership with me to verify which is sounds like he does not say he has the time for.

  6. #6
    The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Odessa, TX
    Posts
    5,364
    Quote Originally Posted by GTI-SE4426 View Post
    how do you mean "address if I buy it"?

    is it not that big of a deal or that expensive to fix?

    The ski I am looking at is an 05 RXT with 27 hours, selling for $4800, so if there are problems the savings is more than enough to fix a few things up if there are minor fixes needed.

    Should I demand a test drive?

    He is claiming that sheduling might not work out to accomodate that. Also I should mention there is no hour gauge on the ski as it has broken so I need to trust him or have him take it to the dealership with me to verify which is sounds like he does not say he has the time for.
    The stock fly wheel bolts have tendancy to shear for no apparent reason on 04-05 models, the good news is if that happens the ski shouldn't run, or at least won't run worth a crap. Its a small issue of preventaive maintenance if the stock ones are still intact, about $150 if you are willing to change them yourself. A test drive is always best, but do trust you judgement and instinct, if it smells like a bad deal it probably is. Don't worry too much after all we know about more types of failures then most dealers here, and there are skis that don't get the PMs we advise that last over 100 hrs.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    75
    Right on. Information is a blessing and a curse at the same time. It is always good to know what you are getting into but sometimes there is so much to think about and inspect that nothing seems to be a good deal. Thanks for all the info though, I would rather be informed than a sucker!

  8. #8
    Prohibido usuario
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jerry's guest bedroom
    Posts
    3,469
    +1
    2
    That price is way low for a low hour machine. So we know it needs a instrument cluster if the hours don't show. What else could be wrong with it?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, CA
    Posts
    75
    that is what I am trying to figure out. I have a dealer (Berts Mega Mall) who will check everything and give it a full lake test for $250, that is good piece of mind.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Just got an 05 RXT
    By e92oholic in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM
  2. FS Parting out an 05 RXT
    By Tiny in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-25-2011, 08:18 AM
  3. would you buy an '05 RXT with 225 hrs?
    By yamadoo in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 03:45 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 07:39 PM
  5. Bought an 05 RXT - Bad SC? Ceramic washer disaster?
    By Humbucker427 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •