Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada

    Burning Smell, Now No Start....

    I have a 2001 RX-DI. For some reason my trim keeps poping the 15amp fuse as soon as I power up the ski. I threw a 30amp fuse in so I could put my trip all the way up for wave jumping. Here is where the stupid part starts. I forgot the fuse in the trim spot. I got home from the water and could smell plastic burning but thought it was my truck(brand new Ford that always smells like its on fire, stupid DPF). 2 days later I went out to start my machine and it doesnt power up at all. I tried jumping it with my other machine but it still wouldnt fire up.

    So, did i fry my ECM? Fusable link? or just drain my batt and need to get a new one?

    Hopefully someone can ring in, thanks guys...

  2. #2
    JayZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    mississauga, ontario
    never ever replace a fuse with a larger one than specified. you more than likely fried your mpem and the burning smell is probably your vts module. you need to find out why the fuse is poping. it could have been in your vts, but you have lots of electrical chasing to do now.

    good luck

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada
    Wouldnt MPEM fuse pop? All the fuses were good. I was looking at the Wiring Diagrams and see that there is a 25amp fuse between the Batt and the fuse block...Whats a MPEM worth? If the fuse was in there all night would I drain the batt or does it only get power when the DESS in plugged in?

  4. #4
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Elephant Butte New Mexico

    not going to be pretty...

    my best guess is that you damaged the mpem. Have you tried pulling the fuse and disconnecting the trim motor? The MPEM fuse would onlyblow if IT was overlaoded. Looks ot me like everything on theski runs thru the MPEM, so you might have cooked something in the black hole, and boy, that's going to be a costly affair. I got lucky last week and grabbed an MPEM on ebay for my 98rfi for a relative steal, but even $150 was alot to pay as I actually only needed a working lanyard ( the previous owner lost the lanyard while the ski sat on blocks in his front yard for three years)..but as the nearest dealer is 300 miles roundtrip..and they don't do them on thespot, it was a bit of a deal as far as I see it.

    check for melted wiring too, your tether switch wiring might have gotten crossed in the meltdown. Boosting a dead battery is a bad idea too..a real bad idea is bad too, get a charged battery in there oir take the dead battery out and connect a car battery up all on its on with some good cables.

    good luck!

  5. #5
    Master of the Dooniverse
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Schenectady, Ny
    A bad VTS can make the MPEM fuse pop. unhook the VTS first and replace the main fuse with a 15A. chekc the 5A fuse as well.

    if the MPEM is FUBAR, the 5A fuse will likely pop as soon as you get it in there. if that happens it's toast.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 97 GP1200 Died while running, now no start.
    By donzimama in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 12:14 AM
  2. 2001 Genesis Ficht DI, had poor throttle response, now no start
    By jetski4ever in forum Polaris Projects
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-12-2013, 04:49 PM
  3. 2002 Polaris Virage TX 1200 carb - no stop, now no start
    By Flatbottom383 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 09:15 AM
  4. 96 sl700 dies suddenly... now its no start, no spark, batteries perfect
    By jared4brack in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 11:14 PM
  5. Viarage low rpm and now no start
    By [email protected] in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 10:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts