damage done by salt water?

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions but first let me tell you what Iím planing on doing. Iím looking into building a GPRXP conversion ski. I also have my dealerís licensesí for salvage auctions. I have a line on a few RXP that were fully submerged and for cheap. My main question is how much damage does salt water do to the engine and electrical? Iím not really worried about having to rebuild the motor cus I wanted to build it up anyways. I just want to know how cost effective this route could be? Any info on the salt water issue would be great. Thanks, John

in my experience ( and I ride in salt water all the time) Salt water when properly taken care of is not a problem. The problem lies when you let the salt water sit in one place for too long. I would run from those skis, just because of the electrical gremlins that you might have, led alone the damage to the block, and head (parts your going to want to salvage)... salt water will corrode within a few hours So if it has been sitting with the water in it I would not buy it...

Banned User
    A ski that's been submerged in Salt Water for any length of time is very concerning..Like Russian Roulette if you will~~ you may have problems, you may not~~..

Master of the Dooniverse
    I would stay away from anything that had contact with salt beyond just running in it and flushing. submerged is not good.

Yea, I wasnt really sure how much more damage is casued by saltwater the with freshwater... as I'm from Michigan and thats all we have. To give you an idea, I was told that I could pick these up for around 5-700 each. With a price like that it had me thinking!!

Banned User
    Even at that price i'd be careful..even for a parts ski, you'd could still be selling damaged parts and if you fixed them up, the ski's could be maintance nightmares.. I had a car sink in Savannah when I was in college, they fixed it for about a year then it started having problems and died.. I miss that car.

Thread Information