Thread: Hi Temp alarm

Hi Temp alarm- need help

I seem to be having some issues with RXP Stage III.

Problem.

Started getting Hi Temp alarm only when WOT and noticing more than normal (Not alot)amount of water inside of boat. I also noticed that I think Im loosing a little bit of oil. Doesnt appear to be burning it (no blue smoke or oil in exhaust). This is a new motor built by RIVA.. I would take it to the shop but its 300 miles away..

Solution.

Purchased new RIVA intercooler. Replaced coolant. Replaced all hoses for the cooling system. Checked tubes to j-tube. Checked oil level while boat was level.

Took ski out today.. Ran great.. Turning good RPMs. I was able to run WOT for a while then OIL light then Hi TEMP light. I opened the seat and observed some faint smoke coming from the catch can. I let it cool off then drove back at 45 mph and no problems. Got home and noticed the oil had gone down about a quarter of a quart and once again more water than normal in the hull. I flushed the ski and checked for any water leaks (none). I put water 2 inches of water in the bottom of the hull after flushing and did not see leaking from the boat.

Any suggestions. Im getting fustrated with this ski....
    Last edited by Therock; 07-23-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Adding something...

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Therock View Post
    I seem to be having some issues with RXP Stage III.

Problem.

Started getting Hi Temp alarm only when WOT and noticing more than normal (Not alot)amount of water inside of boat. I also noticed that I think Im loosing a little bit of oil. Doesnt appear to be burning it (no blue smoke or oil in exhaust). This is a new motor built by RIVA.. I would take it to the shop but its 300 miles away..

Solution.

Purchased new RIVA intercooler. Replaced coolant. Replaced all hoses for the cooling system. Checked tubes to j-tube. Checked oil level while boat was level.

Took ski out today.. Ran great.. Turning good RPMs. I was able to run WOT for a while then OIL light then Hi TEMP light. I opened the seat and observed some faint smoke coming from the catch can. I let it cool off then drove back at 45 mph and no problems. Got home and noticed the oil had gone down about a quarter of a quart and once again more water than normal in the hull. I flushed the ski and checked for any water leaks (none). I put water 2 inches of water in the bottom of the hull after flushing and did not see leaking from the boat.

Any suggestions. Im getting fustrated with this ski....
    Where to start... I just fixed all the same problems with my ski.. First off you really need to update your water intake system.. Run 3/4 inch line from pump to 3/4" in and 3/4" out strainer then back to Riva IC.. Then drill out water yellow water restriction washer 1mm or buy green tab washer..

Check your water line coming out of your IC, lots and lots of Stage III's with Riva IC have leaks on the outlet line where it rubs the IC bracket~~Almost bet that's where your water is coming from~~

On the oil thing- Make sure you check your oil with ski level and hot..My ski is finiky with it's oil level too.

We are all here to help, I know it's hard to hear but be patient and we'll figure it out... If you need to you can bring your ski to me in Ft. Lauderdale or I'll be in Cocoa this weekend and i'll get her fixed for you...

FYI- Light smoke coming from your catch can is normal.
    Last edited by Alex13; 07-23-2008 at 08:47 AM.

What size drill bit did u you use to drill it out? or where can I get a green tab? My lines are already at 3/4. Thanks for your reply. I wish Ft. Lauderdale was a little closer, It would be back with RIVA since I've spent so much money having a new motor put in. I just dont want to drive that far if i can fix it myself. They do really good work!! I think this is just one of those issues where it could be something real small causing the problem. But how much will I spend to fix.. I wonder if my old IC was even bad.....

+1
    Stock yellow washer opening is 8mm, I believe the X (green) is 9mm. You can first go one drill size bigger on all your 3 J pipe pisser holes and make sure the rubber coupler is not clamping over them, then if that does not help, you can ream out your yellow washer to 8.5mm, then try a green washer. You can also put a garden hose nozzle valve in the threaded opening to the upper right of your pump and close the valve - this forces the J pipe water bypass (top of J pipe) to push more water through your waterbox.

Banned User
    Are you running a a strainer?

I had very same problem and fixed it, so don't loose your cool.

Have you read this;

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38004

I would reccommend taking all that chit out and redoing it.. Sometimes the easist way to find a problem is to put your hands all over it.

water lines, IC & piping, intake, j-pipe & water box & strainer.. Pull all that stuff and inspect then reinstall correctly. It would take me 3-4 hours to remove all that chit and inspect then replace. I know it's alot of work but I found a little water leak where my IC bracket had worn at my water line, no mechanic would have ever found it unless they took all that chit off which at Riva is gonna cost you a ton. I used to take my ski to Riva for all my problems and one day I started turning my own wrenches, now I have a much better understanding of my ski and how to fix it.

+1
    sound like some good info Charles!!!

Yes, Im running the RIVA strainer. Its clean..

Im not quite sure what you mean about the 3 holes to drill out on the J Pipe do you have a pictures? And what do u mean by "make sure the rubber coupler is not clamping over them"?

Once again I appreciate everyones help on this..

Can someone post a pic of the 3 holes on the j pipe that get clogged so I can check them and drill them larger. I feel like a big dummy not knowing what to look for. Thanks

+1
    theyre on the end of the "J" Pipe where it enters the waterbox!!!

Banned User
    Once you pull the J-pipe out of the water box, you can't miss them.. Make sure theres one clamp above the holes without restricting the holes at all and one at the bottom of the coupler on the water box. Factory puts two on top but you can remove one.

Thread Information