Glass lenses safe?

So i'm boinkin along about 50 today and I get tossed. Stings a little but during the 30 yard swim back to the ski I start to think about the sunglasses wrapped oddly around my ear and throat. Is the glass lense versus a plastic or polycarbonate a safe option during a high speed crash? I assume the impact would, assuming the face plant is of sufficient violence, separate from the frame without shattering but I have never tested the theory. So folks, has anyone given any consideration to lense material when choosing theyre eyewear? I dont think it"s an issue but if anyone has a story that would change my mind i'd sure like to hear it and if you do ride with glass lenses have you come off at speed without any consequences------------Thanks ,wiki

I use S&W or Remington shooting glasses.

Good enough for protection against shrapnel and nail gun ricochets...good enough for face plants at 50mph+...I would think.

I do put croakies on though...one too many of'm sitting on the bottom of the lake...Ha!

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I say polycarbonate only. Anything that can shatter is too much of a risk. It only takes one poke to the eye and your blind forever. It's not only hitting the water but maybe a bug, or something flying off a boat or another ski. At 60+ mph something small could break glass. Have seen birds bust windows before.

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    I use WileyX Goggles!

They have different types, I have 4 pair of SG-1...no not Stargate! Although they are featured on the show all the time!

www.wileyx.com

Anyone who's been in the Military in the past 5-10yrs probably has seen these. The lenses are have some ballistic rating to them, I read when I bought them that they can withstand a .223 round from an M16.

Prescriptions are available if you buy through their site!!!

I got my sets on ebay for about $60 each!

Edit...

Cons... like any goggle or glasses, if you take a spill at a good speed, or even just jump in, they will come off your face, the plastic and foam gasket seal do float, but just barley, so they will (should) come to the surface.

Pro's. They are vented, sometimes they fog up on colder days if you get water in them.
    No wind
    no direct water hitting your eyes.
    Last edited by majundecid; 07-24-2006 at 09:04 AM.

I would not ride without polycarbonate types of goggles. It's not just getting tossed you have to be concerded with. I once had a bird swoop down and hit me in the face at 65 mph. Damn near knocked me off the boat. It hit me in the side of the head on the right side of my goggles. Had a big ass red mark on the side of my face. If not for the goggles I may have lost an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S
    I once had a bird swoop down and hit me in the face at 65 mph. Damn near knocked me off the boat. It hit me in the side of the head on the right side of my goggles. Had a big ass red mark on the side of my face.
    I dont mean to make fun but that shit would have been hilarious to see!!!! ( By the way, glad to see you still have ur eye. )

Ahh....where am I?
    +1
    The bow of my ski has met up with 2 Sea Gulls.

And on the Ride 2 weeks ago on the Mullica River in Jersey...I've never hit so many bugs before, I actually had cream-o-bug on the lenses of the goggles.

I would go with the plastic lenses. The optometist that I go to said not to have glass lenses. The obvious they are glass and they are heavier and the longer you wear them on the water more stress on the nose and face area.

I wear goggles and he would not put glass lenses on them. So I have plastic perscription lenses. Most importantly he said to have a good pair that aren't real cheap to where the lenses pops out easily and to be sure they are UVA,UVB,UVsomethin else protected.

I just remember there were 3 and he said most sunglasses and or goggles are only UVA and not adequate sun protection. Oh and he said polarized is the way to go if riding out on the water.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    The birds are fun, but one time I stopped riding and as the wake of the ski rushed up in the footwell from the back of the ski a 4 inch bream (fish) washed up into the footwell and brushed my foot. Scared the crap out of me.

Thread Information