Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

92 sL 650 Ignition Upgrades?

The stator in my 92 SL 650 recently died, actually it fried the ground all the way to the CDI. I went ahead and pulled the engine to remove the stator, I figured this was a good time to replace pistons, rings, and inspect rods and replace gaskets as well.

It looks like polaris doesn't even make this stator or CDI anymore and from what I have been reading most people with my problem opt to upgarde to a 94 or newer Stator and CDI. I assume a new flywhhel may be needed as well? My question is since I have to start from scratch and order some new or used parts which are interchangeable. I noticed on the Polaris parts search every stator and CDI for year 94, 95 and 96 had different part #'s but for all I know they may be the exact same part?

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I cannot comment on the 650 stator and CDI interchangeability, but the fried stator ground wire MAY be caused by a missing plastic cover over the battery. If the battery shorts to the electrical box shell, it can fry the black stator wire.

Make sure you have proper insulation between the battery posts/cables and the electrical box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5119890.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	84672  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Any year 650 stator should work. I doubt it, but you may need to swap connectors, so save the old one for now. Keep the CDI as that was a good timing curve with a high rev limiter.

If you swap CDI then you will want the flywheel to be safe.

Thanks for the info. I picked up a used CDI today from a 94 SL750, SO I guess I need to find a stator from a sililar model, 94 650 or 750. I have had a few different responses on the flywheel, some say I don't need a new one and some say I will. I may scout out a flywheel just to be sure. I will let you know the outcome when I find a good stator.

+1
    I heave some flywheels if needed..

+1
    750 CDI will need a 750 flywheel.

You have the preferred 92 650 CDI already. Much easier to just find a 650 stator and keep the flywheel you have..

Do you think the CDI fried along with the Stator? The wires leading into the electrical box were pretty much fried and melted, the ground was practically gone. Anyway to test the CDI?

I did however pick up a used CDI from a friend. He said it was from a 94 650. Paid 10 bucks for it so I figured what the heck. I noticed it had serial numbers printed on the front different than mine. Is there anyway to decifer the information on the CDI boxes to determine the year? Polaris has certain part numbers but nothing relating to the numbers on the box? Just curious in case I need to search the net for another replacement.

Numbers on the box I bought are;
    F8T32071

+1
    F8T32071 is from a 94/95 750.

No way to test CDI. Just test everything else, and if all other parts pass, THEN you replace the CDI.

Chances are the CDI may be good still. The wires melting are not uncommon. It means you had a poor ground somewhere, or the insulator was missing between the battery and elec box.

Thanks for the info on the CDI. I think I will still look for a stator since the CDI I have seems to be desirable. Although it may be a bit harder to find a good stator from a 92.

Is there anyway to tell the year model on a stator? model # or markings?

I have a good stator from a 92 but I may have cut the wires as I do on all my PWC's so I can splice in waterproof connectors and eliminate a ton of R&R hassle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information