Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question TRIPLE PIPE mid-summer tear down/ re-build HELP

just what i wanna do,, tear down my ski in the middle of summer, oh the joys of performance..luckily we have a third gpr so i got a ride......first off ill tell you what i found and then a couple questions

a few of you know a couple weeks back right after mudbug, my vacuum line popped and gas fumes ignited inside my boat, it was nothing big but once i fixed the line it was still dogging out and wouldnt go above 4500 rpm's,,,, i have had a sneaky suspicion that something was wrong at mudbug since i couldnt get over 7300 r's on the radar run.... so a few days ago i finally decided to just tear it all apart...

once i got to digging, i found that my front left motor mount shim had vibrated up and was ripping into my #2 PIPE !!! my #1 pipe was hitting the old PV motor screws an inch away!! these pipes SHAKE....

also the kevlar strip on #1 was half gone, letting the pipe contact metal to metal on the exhaust flange!!!

my #3 head dome is perfectly washed clean,, which leads me to believe that my o-ring heads arent sealing right and allowing water into my jugs.... not to mention the 1/2 inch of water/oil i poured out of the cases yesterday...

theres a slight burn mark on my #3 rod, near the crank needle bearing not the piston bearing,,,,

its impossible to read the pistonwash cuz the entire crown is black, i was told 140 was to fat and it looks that way judging by the pistons...

so if my #2 pipe still holds pressure but the outside jacket layer is pushing up against the inside layer should i send it to get fixed?? should i even try factory or just get someone close to fix it...

what could have created the burn mark on the rod? just one..

should i throw in some 135 high's?

or should i just throw my single pipe back on...
    Last edited by RDH; 07-23-2008 at 03:11 PM.

+1
    stay tripples!!! if your outside jacket is pushed in alittle then it restrict waterflow but if there not getting hot then i dnt think it matters. i think you need 135's on ur high cause i think mine are 130's but i dnt have vf3's. the only way id get rid of my tripples is if i went bigbore but thats like 2500 dollars and the feel of tripples is not comparable. you havent even felt ur tripples even kick in yet cause you havent got into ur powerband with them. its awesome.

+1
    Post pictures of your piston wash please.

Quote Originally Posted by bajaeater View Post
    stay tripples!!! if your outside jacket is pushed in alittle then it restrict waterflow but if there not getting hot then i dnt think it matters. i think you need 135's on ur high cause i think mine are 130's but i dnt have vf3's. the only way id get rid of my tripples is if i went bigbore but thats like 2500 dollars and the feel of tripples is not comparable. you havent even felt ur tripples even kick in yet cause you havent got into ur powerband with them. its awesome.
    you have 130's!! are you 100%positive?

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Post pictures of your piston wash please.
    sorry,i tried several times yesterday to post pictures, but it said i didnt have permission to access that page.. ill try again now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7220411.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	84898  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7220413.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	84899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7220416.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	84900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7220421.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	84901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7220419.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	84902  

+1
    im pretty positive but im out of town and will be back in town tomorrow (friday) and will make sure.

+1
    Ditch the triples and buy the 1500cc bigbore setup ben herman is selling in the classifieds for $1200, and run single pipe. You will never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by RDH View Post

I kinda like the wash on #3, really close maybe a bit rich but the other two are a tad lean for my liking. Also about the pipes dont worry about the two pipe walls touching. Just get the dents filled with a tig welder and grind them smooth. While you have them out pressure test them. Also where they are rubing use some left over hydro turf mats or side wall of a car tired and either use contact cement or zip ties to hold the cushioning in place. They do viabrate a lot. But they make a lo of power around 7400 to 7600 rpm.

OH KEEP THE PIPES. Youll regret it if you sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    Ditch the triples and buy the 1500cc bigbore setup ben herman is selling in the classifieds for $1200, and run single pipe. You will never look back.
    i kinda wanna work with what ive got, and save for a 2-seater SHO,or the 2000cc SD...... i think those will be the ticket.... plus his jugs are ported for triples, i didnt think it was good to run a single pipe with that?

Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post
    I kinda like the wash on #3, really close maybe a bit rich but the other two are a tad lean for my liking. Also about the pipes dont worry about the two pipe walls touching. Just get the dents filled with a tig welder and grind them smooth. While you have them out pressure test them. Also where they are rubing use some left over hydro turf mats or side wall of a car tired and either use contact cement or zip ties to hold the cushioning in place. They do viabrate a lot. But they make a lo of power around 7400 to 7600 rpm.

OH KEEP THE PIPES. Youll regret it if you sell them.

isnt there gonna be a bad hotspot where the walls touch, id rather cut out a big square and replace that whole section .. first thing i did when they came out was presure test them, all good... whats your high jet?... i use the turf trick too, works great!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information