Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: best oil to use

+1

best oil to use

I did a search and didnt get any good results so figured i would ask.

What kind of oil is everyone using in their engines?

I normally run Royal purple in EVERYTHING I have ( yes even my lawnmower, I know I have a sickness ). I know from my past 2 stroke skis that SeaDoo required us to run their own 2 cycle oil. Does this apply to the 4-strokes as well or can I run Royal Purple?

What weight is recommended?

What about oil filter, any special filters or better performing filters? Ones that filter better microns yet still maintain good flow?

A good oiling system is the life of the engine, and I want the best for my ski.

Because of the gear driven supercharger, and the sensitivity of the clutch system. Using the OEM Sea-Doo 4stroke oil for Supercharged Ski's is HIGHLY recommended (10w-40 I believe). I don't recall the specifics off the top of my head, but it has something to do the addition of, or lack of friction modifiers that will affect the S/C clutch slip. So unfortunately that means Dino oil for these Ski's.. no synthetic.

Disclaimer:
    This information is what I recall being told from a trusted source, and should by no means be considered fact
    Last edited by boostaholic; 07-24-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added disclaimer for NCHeel

+1
    You can use the AMSOIL 10w-40 Marine Oil. It is safe for the supercharger clutch. http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?z...storefront/wcf For better pricing click to become a preferred customer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I contracted Royal purple tech dept and talked to the techs about the supercharger clutch deal and he told me that all their oils would be ok, but the oil for motorcycles was the best for the wet clutches .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mozer View Post
    I contracted Royal purple tech dept and talked to the techs about the supercharger clutch deal and he told me that all their oils would be ok, but the oil for motorcycles was the best for the wet clutches .

I would make sure that they do not have any friction modifers in their car oils before I used it. I would stick with the motorcycle oil if you were going to use Royal Purple, since it is a JASO MA spec oil. Here is a good test on motorcycle oils.
    Attached Files Attached Files

We were told to use Castrol GTX 10-40 by the dealer. Never had a problem.

+1
    when you say friction modifiers are you speaking of friction reducing additives?

so therefore you are saying any oil with additives to reduce friction are going to let the clutches slip more?

I know for a fact the Royal Purple doesnt break down. You cannot break in a motor or transmission with Royal Purple cause it will not let parks wear in. I learned the hard way with a transmission before...

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by boostaholic View Post
    Because of the gear driven supercharger, and the sensitivity of the clutch system. Using the OEM Sea-Doo 4stroke oil for Supercharged Ski's is HIGHLY recommended (5w-40 I believe). I don't recall the specifics off the top of my head, but it has something to do the addition of, or lack of friction modifiers that will affect the S/C clutch slip. So unfortunately that means Dino oil for these Ski's.. no synthetic.
    Do you have any facts to back your statements up? As long as the oil is JASO MA certified you can run it. Plenty of us already are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duty_calls.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	84883  

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 818RXP View Post
    We were told to use Castrol GTX 10-40 by the dealer. Never had a problem.
    Wow!! this thread is full of misinformation. Castrol GTX is a car oil. AFAIK all car oils contain friction modifiers. It is the only way they can obtain the ratings required by car manufactures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duty_calls.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	84884  
    Last edited by NCHeel; 07-24-2008 at 05:08 AM.

The Sea-Doo supercharged oil is a 10w-40 oil. Run that, or if you want to run a synthetic oil, make sure the bottle says JASO MA certified.

/thread

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information