+1

16 Year Old killed on PWC.

I hate reading about young kids getting killed on pwc. Numbers could be lower if parents took the time to teach them how to ride and obey rules.

Regulations Were Not Met In Waverunner Accident

(CBS 3) OCEAN CITY, N.J. A Camden County girl vacationing in Ocean City, New Jersey, was killed while riding a personal watercraft.

Police said 16-year-old Anne Marie Lynch crashed in Carnival Bayou, the lagoon behind West 17th Street on the city's back bay. The accident happened around 1:30 p.m. Thursday while Lynch was riding her uncle's Sea Doo personal watercraft.

Bill Phillips and his deck construction crew witnessed the teen slam into the edge of a boat dock.

“We heard her scream for a couple seconds before it happened,” he said.

After the accident, Molly Tew, a registered nurse who lives along the bay, attempted to perform C.P.R. on Lynch, but it was too late.

“I tried until paramedics got there, but by that point they called it,” she said.

Anne Marie was prnounced dead at the scene.

Lynch was vacationing at the shore with her family from Barrington. Officials said she was wearing a life jacket and was of legal age to operate the watercraft, which she borrowed from her uncle.

Investigators believe the teen was traveling too fast on the waverunner in an area where it is required to drive slowly.

Officials said they do not believe Lynch had the proper water safety certification to operate the personal watercraft.

Chris Magazzu, an instructor of eight years, explains that you definitely need to take precautions when riding in the water.

“You have to have experience or knowledge of the area you are riding in.” said Magazzu. “I think certain times people are given too much freedom at an early age.”

It is important to follow the rules of the water.

You must have a valid driver’s license and a Boating Safety Certificate or an orientation course given by a rental instructor.

“We take you out and we only allow you to do so many things, where we keep all of the skis at least 200 feet a part at all times,” explained Magazzu.

Dangers are low if you follow the instructions.

“I think you need to follow the rule. You need to have a license. You need to listen to the instructors. I mean, that’s just common sense,” said Jerry Matthews, who drives his own watercraft.

If you don’t follow the rules, you could be subject to a fine. Fines range between $100 and $500.

A senseless death that could have easily been avoided. This is a very sad story and I feel for all of the girls friends and relatives.

+1
    Very sad indeed. I watch kids near the Williams launch all the time. They ride way too close to one another. They just don`t realize that 350-400 pds fluing at you doing 50mph will in fact kill you.

+1
    Thats really sad..But its not just kids anymore,Had my uncle out today on my other ski and this Jackass in a seadoo jetboat came within 3 feet of
    hitting him head on.then had the balls to laugh about it.I went over there
    after i seen what happend and he did the same thing to me then acted like
    it was our fault..He was doing all this with a woman and child in the boat with him..And people want to know why people get hurt and even killed with these things..Good luck and safe riding to all

Scott

+1
    I promise you,,I`d a beet his ass,,,with a radish no doubt.

I Was Out Riding That Day In Ocean City It Was A Messssssssss!!! Very Sad

What day was the accident? I was in OceanCity 7/16 - 7/22 and I did not hear anything about it.

Thread Information