Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2008 LB2CAT Vet/Master National Championship

Thank you All who helped me win this hard fought title.

To the So Cal watercraft Club, Mark Gerner, Nils888, John Smith, Tom Clarke, Young Huan, Steve Friebe, David Pirate Tew, Eve and Brittney- and everyone else who made their voices heard- and anyone else who voiced their support that I did not know about- or forgot to mention above-- Thanks to you all !

David Walker
    2008 LB2CAT Vet/Master Offshore Nat'l Champion.
    Last edited by OffShore2; 08-11-2008 at 02:37 PM.

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    I would like to here the other side of the story. But you have some very valid points. Have you spoke with the APBA about your protest???

i think the whole thing sucks

I think the whole thing sucks. Yes there are three sides to every story and I dont know which way to turn. I am sure no matter which way it goes someone gets boned out but the way it went down is one of the two items that was specifically covered at the drivers meeting. what makes it worse is after reviewing the rule book which is available online there are so many loopholes and grey area it sucks. NOTHING is cut and dry. Here a racer that has moved around in a number of different clases is able to do so. Doesnt make a lot of sense or a progressive bump system should be established. I dont know the answer, but I am not thrilled with the outcome.

As one of the freelance on the water photographers. I noticed at the start of the race a majority of the racers decided to ignore the orange turn buoy. and proceed directly to the right of the buoy and head straight out to the gate. Now correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't there a 5 minute penalty for missing the first buoy. then impose the penalty. There are some really great riders out there and it to bad that this and the other problem that occurred with the rider classification and how everyone's finish is going to change. In my opinion, when the winners are announced prior or at the ceremony and the trophies have been out it should stand as such. End of story. Plain and simple.
    If you would like to see photos from the race click on the below.

http://gallery.mac.com/dandsprogroup

Dave
    Last edited by DandSPro; 07-24-2008 at 07:02 AM.

+1
    Im sorry to say that this is typical tyoe of scoring debacle the last few years here on the west coast.... I feel for you.

Well, I guess it's about time I put in my 2 cents worth on this subject. I really don't feel as if I deserved 3rd place in the vet/master as I did NOT beat anybody in the race. All I did was finish 34th. Pretty bad. However, out of respect for David Walker, I must say that if indeed Paul Pham changed classes AFTER the race, then that is totally against what we were explicitly told at the riders meeting on Saturday. I too kind of wondered about riders who once raced pro/am then racing in amateur class later on. I guess it's up to them but it does seem a bit cheesy to me. I too am wondering why some of the other SoCal racers aren't speaking up on this. David has every right to be upset at this. He not only drove all the way from Florida, but ran a great race and rightfully so was awarded first in the Vet/master class. To change the results a day after the awards ceremony, in my opinion is downright WRONG. Again, I am not saying this because of my 3rd place or 4th place position. That does NOT matter to me as I am certainly not proud of being the LAST finisher but what is right for Mr Walker is in my mind very important to me as it should be for all involved. Ross, I think you should address this issue. I have no problem with giving my trophy to John Smith but to take away a hard-earned and dare I say, LEGITIMATELY-EARNED victory from David Walker is a travesty. I have known Paul for many years and consider him a friend but rules are rules and whatever class he was signed up for before the race should be the class he was scored in. Sorry, Robert.
    T C

Quote Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
    I think the whole thing sucks. Yes there are three sides to every story and I dont know which way to turn. I am sure no matter which way it goes someone gets boned out but the way it went down is one of the two items that was specifically covered at the drivers meeting. what makes it worse is after reviewing the rule book which is available online there are so many loopholes and grey area it sucks. NOTHING is cut and dry. Here a racer that has moved around in a number of different clases is able to do so. Doesnt make a lot of sense or a progressive bump system should be established. I dont know the answer, but I am not thrilled with the outcome.
    I agree with you John. Davids frustration, is more than likely shared with others involved as well. In the end, someone wont be happy....All parties directly or even inderectly involved ran a great race.

Indeed their are always more than one side to a story. I'd say for the official call, maybe an email, or call to Ross should be had.

The internet words can come off different to those reading, so I'll say, this post was made with all due respect to all in a serious manner.

Well Done Mr. David Walker, You did it and said it in a very professional way. Good luck and I hope this incident doesen't stop you from Racing Catalina or other races. Congratulations too for a job well done in the race!

Vet/Master Issue

To David Walker and John Smith, I must apologize as the clerical error that has caused this issue was in no way done purposely. You have my sincere apologies on this matter but that is of little consequence.

The following is an outline of the events that transpired leading up to the decision:
    1.) I received Paul Pham's entry a week before the event. At that time the entry showed Amateur Class 1 however at registration on Saturday July 19, Mr. Pham elected to change his class from Amateur Class 1 to Vet/Master Open. He is allowed by the rules to do this for numerous reasons despite any thinking to the contrary, it is permissable and he did it correctly BEFORE the race and BEFORE driver's meeting. The notation was made on the original summary sheet of pre-registered entries.

2.) At the conclusion of business on Saturday I returned home to update the entry list and create summary sheets for Sunday's event. It was at this time that I did not catch the notation on the page with all other changes (number changes, mfg. changes, etc.) It was late, I was exhausted and I made a mistake for that I take full responsibility and I apologize.

3.) After setting the course on Sunday morning I returned to the launch ramp area to meet with my operations manager/risk manager and gave him the updated entry list, however due to time, Jay had already started checking in driver's and taking i.d.'s so the mistake remained unnoticed.

4.) After the race I stayed on the start boat to start the Offshore race, upon conclusion I returned to the pits, grabbed a quick lunch then immediately started on the results. Approx. 1 1/2 hours later the results were tabulated and finalized and printed. As I finished I was told to get to the awards ceremony, unfortunately, I had not had a chance to post the results as I am positive the discrepancy would have been found.

5.) While walking into the awards I was greeted by several racers, etc. one of which was Mr. Pham who asked to see where he finished, at that time he indicated that I had him in Amateur Class 1 but he changed on Saturday to Vet/Master, he further indicated that he didn't care as he was National Champion either way. I then went to the stage and did the awards presentation.

6.) After the awards ceremony, Robert Carreon approached me and indicated that he knew that Paul Pham had changed classes on Saturday and felt he deserved the win. I took the protest under consideration and set about to find out the truth. I looked at the paperwork from Saturday's registration and made a call to my assistant (on Monday) and it was conclusive that in fact, Mr. Pham had changed classes correctly on Saturday. I had no choice but to right the wrong, no matter how displeasing this is, to ignore the truth would have been worse.

In conclusion, I acknowledge that while it sucks to have happen, I could not ignore the facts and the truth. There is no conspiracy, it was a plain and simple clerical error that I have owned up to. Flame on.

What is more disturbing to me is the fact that I went over in great detail the starting procedure which seemed to be ignored by most of the field; ie not going through the start/finish line and around the orange tetrahedron towards the breakwater. Since there were so many boats, no numbers on riders or backs of boats it became impossible to determine the offending boats. The start is going to be rectified, maybe a Le Man's style off 1st Beach, where the skiers start from and finish at the transom of the Queen Mary (normal finish line). I am working on it.

BTW, if you need to email me or discuss this with me further feel free to call me (310) 318-4012 or email me at my correct email address- [email protected]

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks for posting Ross. That is a tough position to be in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information