Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Pre Mudbug Grate pictures..

Just thought I would post up the pictures of the 3 grates that failed the week of the bug. The first two pictures are of the 800 that broke and tossed me around like a rag doll. The second two pictures are of the 1200 that cracked and the last picture is another 800 that cracked. I might add that when the first grate broke it pulled the pump shoe down approx. .070 thous. and I did not realize it until I got home after the bug. Just goes to show the forces that are taking place in that area of the ski.The very last pic is a $400 pile of chit compliments of R&D.. Just sharing info guys.. Oh yeah not one of these grates had a dimple or any other visible flaws..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts for sale 008.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	84832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts for sale 009.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	84833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts for sale 010.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	84834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts for sale 011.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	84835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts for sale 012.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	84836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parts for sale 013.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	84837  

Last edited by TheDome; 07-23-2008 at 10:08 PM.

www.2-Stroke-Porting.com
    I have had a welder reinforce the 800 grates to see if we can prevent the breakage. Here is what I found in working with the 800 grate. The last 3 or 4 I have measured the distance from the vertical support to the edge of the wing. ALL that I have measured have a 40+ thou wider wing on the left side - looking towards impeller. With the crack forming on the right side of wing. I am wondering if the uneven loading of the wing could be causing part of the problem???

I wonder if others have found this? Or, are the ones I got from a batch that was not centered properly??

Just a thought.

Lowell
    Last edited by LHorning; 07-25-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Correct Left and Right -- spelling

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LHorning View Post

I wonder if others have found this? Or, are the ones I got from a batch that was not centered poperly??

Just a thought.

Lowell
    YES i have noticed the same thing!!...i thought i was seeing things until i actually measured this for myself.....this was on a RIVA 1200 grate(R&D as we know it).....so this makes total sense to me......on my 1200 it actually sits offset all together if the holes are centered...this is allowing more water to pass the grate on one side than the other...so i think the pressure built up on the "closed" side is also a contributing factor to the failures...

-Jack
    Last edited by BoostCrzy; 07-25-2008 at 11:05 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LHorning View Post
    I have had a welder reinforce the 800 grates to see if we can prevent the breakage. Here is what I found in working with the 800 grate. The last 3 or 4 I have measured the distance from the verticle support to the edge of the wing. ALL that I have measured have a 40+ thou wider wing on the right side - looking towards impeller. I am wondering if the uneven loading of the wing could be causing part of the poblem???

I wonder if others have found this? Or, are the ones I got from a batch that was not centered poperly??

Just a thought.

Lowell
    Hey Lowell you have a pm..

+1
    Thats crazy luck Todd!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Thats crazy luck Todd!!!
    Yup.. and with out you my brother from another mother I would not have had a 800 to run for the bug..Therefore I would have watched from the side lines. Thanks again Bro.. Just curious, any results on what I sent you yet?? Remember take your time, no hurry or worry Bro..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDome View Post
    Yup.. and with out you my brother from another mother I would not have had a 800 to run for the bug..Therefore I would have watched from the side lines. Thanks again Bro.. Just curious, any results on what I sent you yet?? Remember take your time, no hurry or worry Bro..
    Anytime bud!! Wished we would have seen the shoe and tried to fix that before Sat morning too.

I'll PM you the results.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Anytime bud!! Wished we would have seen the shoe and tried to fix that before Sat morning too.

I'll PM you the results.
    Yes sir I agree. But there is always next year... Big surprises!

+1
    hey dome , clgpr sent his 800 back to r&d and they sent him a new one ...warranty...just a thought that may help you till the s.s. grates arrive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    hey dome , clgpr sent his 800 back to r&d and they sent him a new one ...warranty...just a thought that may help you till the s.s. grates arrive.
    No Chit??? As of right now Lowell and I are doing a little evaluation work on them, but I may give that a try later. Thanks a million for the heads up Bro. That would be nice to get 3 new ones so I could turn around and sell those pieces of chit. Would help pay for my S.S. GRATE from the Hulkster..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information