Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water droplets on 2-stroke spark plugs?

I have a 05 Sportster Le-Di 2 stroke with 25 hr's and it began to miss. It would clear up after a short time running. So I took the plugs out of the twin cyl. and saw they were fouled with a couple water droplets on one of them. I replaced them and will take it out again this weekend and check them after.

The gas is good and I haven't been towed and haven't waterlogged the cyl.'s. The engine does not get hot - just warm. They retorqued the heads last fall - per schedule. I run it in fresh water.

Could water have incidentaly gotten in there or do I have a blown gasket or something else. With the old plugs it ran tops even with the fouled plugs, once warm it stoped missing.

What do I have to worry about, if anything? Thank you

I saw this same issue when my exhaust y pipe to expansion chamber was leaking water into the intake. Check at WOT for a leak from the gasket into the intake. Mine would run good for a short period then lose some power pulled plugs and they looked just like that. I am not sure on the boats but check for water getting in there somehow. I would think head gasket or something maybe too, but I am pretty new.

Master of the Dooniverse
    sometimes water int eh exhaust system will evaporate and later condense on the plugs. if it's tiny bit and the engine runs well it's not a problem.

Thank you both for the comments/help. I will reply after I run it and check the new plugs.

BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
    sounds like a little water in the fuel to me

Master of the Dooniverse
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-IN-TIME View Post
    sounds like a little water in the fuel to me
    chances are you wouldn't see it. the heat of combustion would boil it off and it would run like crap.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wayniac View Post
    chances are you wouldn't see it. the heat of combustion would boil it off and it would run like crap.
    +1

Just a FYI...water always sits in the bottom of the chamber and waterbox. You never can blow it all out. This is why SD always wants you to fog after evey ride. I'd be inclined to think it was condensation from the water in the pipe.

Master of the Dooniverse
    yup.

to be honest i never rev the piss out of mine to blow out the water on the trailer. alot of guys do, but i've always relied on the residue of oil and fuel to keep the internals moisture free.

Results with new plugs...

I took it out with the new plugs and it ran, I think, better than it ever did. I went through about 8 gal. of gas.

So I came home and pulled the plugs and one was so dark brown to being close to black - it was dry with quite a bit of carbon build up.

The other plug was all but fouled - heavy black but dry.

So I would say it is running way to rich with one injector running richer than the other. Remember this is the 05 951 direct injection Sportster LE.

It is under it's extended warranty so I think I'll wait for it's Fall service and tell them I have a fuel delivery problem as stated here (show them plugs).

Any suggestions on what to do/say? I can't believe it should run this rich. It pulls hard out of the hole and the speedo shows 55mph -runs great but I'm sure I'll need new plugs soon? Thank for the replies.

Master of the Dooniverse
    Now it's like one of those water injecting engines that will be coming out soon......nice new R&D project.

amazing what new plufgs will doo!!! LOL.

DI plugs are always dark....unlike SDI Ski-Doo plugs which are always very very light. You could just be running in hot weather....the compensation isn't very good for climate change on the DIs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information