Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wear ring questions

98 XPL 951
    I went to my local SeaDoo dealer to get a wear ring and he gave me a plastic one with one side straight and the other has a rounded lip to it. I need some help as I havent done this before.
    1. The lip goes which way I was thinking this must seat up against something so the straight edge would go against what it seats against.
    2. I thought the 98 had a metal wear ring but he told me only GTI rental models (I think thats the model he said) had metal wear rings
    3. He said if it was stock I would have to cut it out (I have read about this using search) but I would need something to hold it in. He had a big tube of stuff (locktite 5100????)but said I really didnt need a 40 dollar tube to go get some from a local parts store. What can I use and can I use it to seal my pump back to the hull?
    4. Is there anything I should watch out for?

I was going to pull it off the hull have them pull the impeller if I need to R&R the wear ring and have them reinstall the impeller. I read you have to pull the impeller to R&R wear ring.

Master of the Dooniverse
    Lip side goes out, will seal against the pump shoe.

metal wear ring is not necessary.

cut the old one out with a dremel or equiv. don't worry if you nick the srufaces under the ring, it won't hurt anything and you'll never know.

ring does not get glued or sealed into the pump, just freeze it and drop it in and make sure it's square and true. once it warms up it will be tight. secure form the outside with two screws if you want. be careful they don't stick in too far and blcok the prop. 3/8" length MAX.
    Last edited by The Wayniac; 07-24-2008 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks Wayniac,
    Did they have metal ones at all on those skis? I guess from reading searches I thought certain ones came with metal ones.
    Will I have to pull the impeller?
    What can I use to seal the pump back to the hull?

+1
    Never saw a Doo with a metal ring from the factory,some aftermarket folks tried them.

Master of the Dooniverse
    Best way to ruin your impeller in my opinion.

Yes, pull the impeller, lol.

don't need anything to seal it, just the little raised center orings for the three ports in the pump shoe. I never liked that '98 pump shoe set-up. those shimming washer and not haivng that rubber ribbed oring a tthe pump shoe....bad set-up. the 99 pump shoe is alot better.
    Last edited by The Wayniac; 07-24-2008 at 09:38 AM.

+1
    i have a solid stainless wear ring in my 96xp and it was in my gtx before that. 3-4 years with no problems.....just don't run it in shallow water.

i would put one in my xpl if i had access to some free material. the last one would have cost 2 arms and 2 legs if i had to pay for it.

Master of the Dooniverse
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    .....just don't run it in shallow water.
    Well yes, that is the idea .....LMAO....just got to keep the family and friends off your stuff if that's the intent!

+1
    jayZ, dennix kirk used to sell the metal wear rings, problem is the larger 951 pumps flex a lot more then the 800 series pumps and the props get the edges all f up. I played with one in all 3 of my pumps and coulnd't get it to work safe. I threw it out

race 24x, if you have the original 1998 xpl pump, it's got a brass stator veins you will need to use a sealer to seal the pump to the hull support plate because the 98 pumps didn't have the nice rubber seal. Use some ultra black and let dry overnite. if you don't do this you will cavitate and have real crappy performace.

if you use tiny screws to hold the wear ring in place PRE DRILL the tiny holes or the wear ring will just bend down into the pump and hit the prop whenit spins.

TLR

+1
    tim, the wear ring i have is not a plastic wear ring with a stainless liner, it was machined from a solid block of stainless steel if there was any stainless pipe available at the time i would have used it, but nothing was readily available. 8 hours of machining later, i had a wear ring.....lol

if you use a solid stainless steel ring, it will actually make the pump more stiff and therefore less flexible. i think i made the clearance around 0.008" to maximize the efficiency of the pump and the impellor still looks brand new. the thing is, it is not very cost effective. i think all said and done, materials and labour were in the $800 range. of coarse actual cost was much much less

Thanks thats what I thought about sealing it. A guy told me I can machine some off my pump and get the seal and use it like the newer style, but the dealer warned me away from it. Has anyone tried this trick?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information