Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quite possibly the lamest thing EVER!!!

So I had just paid off my RXP and had the s/c rebuilt with the works (metal washers, ceramic bearings) the whole 9 yards, when magically, out of the blue, I lose a massive amount of boost. Top speed goes from 72 (on the inaccurate factory speedo) to 58. Something is wrong. I pull out the s/c and the whole clutch is there and fine and dandy, minus the friggin gear/needle bearings and the steel washers. LAME!!! This crap is somewhere inside my motor. So being as mechanically inclined and stubbornly motivated individual as I am, ask my wife, I think that I have a winter project on my hands, because this thing is going to be put back together meticulously. The clutch is a garbage setup that I would not feel good powering a weed wacker. Is it so damn hard to use belt drive?

+1
    So are you saying the nut came loose and it all fell apart? Was it torqued properly? Locktite? Spring washers installed correctly? Either way it sounds to me like it was not done properly. Even without locktite it should not come apart if it is torqued correctly and the spring washers are installed correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    So are you saying the nut came loose and it all fell apart? Was it torqued properly? Locktite? Spring washers installed correctly? Either way it sounds to me like it was not done properly. Even without locktite it should not come apart if it is torqued correctly and the spring washers are installed correctly.
    My guess is the gear broke, It did not come apart, the spring washers and nut are still there. It doesn't really matter at this point as I am not going to ever let someone else work on my ski again. I will just learn about it and do whatever it takes to make the 4tec not a piece of garbage. Well the 4tec isnt really a piece of garbage, but the s/c assembly is...

+1
    Damn that sux! I have seen a few cases like this where the gear fractures and falls off the shaft.

Be sure and check your timing chain for damage when you have it apart cleaning out the debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Damn that sux! I have seen a few cases like this where the gear fractures and falls off the shaft.

Be sure and check your timing chain for damage when you have it apart cleaning out the debris.
    Good advice, will do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zRaXcPk View Post
    My guess is the gear broke, It did not come apart, the spring washers and nut are still there. It doesn't really matter at this point as I am not going to ever let someone else work on my ski again. I will just learn about it and do whatever it takes to make the 4tec not a piece of garbage. Well the 4tec isnt really a piece of garbage, but the s/c assembly is...
    I can understand the gear breaking and loosing the needle bearings but how did the washers come off. Did they shatter also? Strange that they would alll shatter at the same time.

Your guess is as good as mine, ski. I pondered it over many beers last night. And I have concluded that.... I ride the piss out of my ski and am extremely hard on stuff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post

I had to help Mike pull his motor because of something similar, So take Jerrys advice. I did and inspected the timing chain and it had to many nics and dings. We didn't take the chance and spent the $90 on a new chain and it isn't so bad to replace. You can actually do it with a couple pair of hands and don't even have to remove the oil spray jets at the bottom of the cylinders.

BUT change it for the $90 bucks piece of mind.....

Are you saying that a new drive gear fractured? I know with the rebuild kit that the gear is included... Ron

Master of the Dooniverse
    I was wondering if it was a brand new gear. Seems like somethign you'd want to do while you are in there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information