Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can someone recommend a service shop?

Good honest service shop within an hour of Manteca, Ca 95336?
    Last edited by ChopperPilot08; 07-24-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: .

+1
    Tell us what problems you are having and we can probably walk you through fixing them.

I have worked on it a bit but it is a little past my knowledge. I am pretty sure the carbs just need a good cleaning, but I would hate to pull them off and pull it all apart and mess something up putting them back together.

It's a 93 SL 650, won't start unless I pour gas or starting fluid down the air intake in the carbs. It will run good until it runs out of fuel/starting fluid. I wasn't getting a spark at first, bought new plugs, still no spark, went into the electrical box, cleaned all the connections, and did the stator OHMs test with the wires. All checked out good within range of specs. I think the cleaning worked, has a good spark now. But still no start. I pulled off the fuel line leading to the pump, filled it to the top with gas, cranked it, and the fuel sucked down with good suction, so I know the pump works fine, but I am guessing it is sending it all back down the return line. So something has to be gummed up in the carbs or fuel lines leading to the carbs. So I was just going to take it in for a good carb clean/tune and hope it works.

I have the service manual for it, but the pictures are crap, and it doesnt always explain things well. I could prob take each one apart and put it back together but if I tighten a screw too much or too little and it still won't start when I am all done, then I will just be frustrated and end up letting it sit for another couple months. So I am debating still, but leaning towards taking it in to a good mechanic.

Correction. 94 SL 650. Not much difference but a little.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you downloaded the online 1992-1998 Polaris Factory Service Manual?

Image quality might be better, and some information might be updated.

The 1994 SL650 had the better 148mm modular jet pump.

I hadn't seen this yet. Thanks. I will take a look and maybe build the courage to tackle the carbs. But if anyone does know of a good mechanic/shop aound northern california, that would be great.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperPilot08 View Post
    ...I will take a look and maybe build the courage to tackle the carbs...
    Here is a fairly nicely done Mikuni carburetor rebuild guide.

Always use Genuine Mikuni rebuild kits and parts.

Carb rebuilds are not particularly difficult. Just take your time, work on one at a time, check your work as you go, and pretty soon you have three rebuilt carbs sitting on the table.

Follow the Polaris Service Manual regarding installation and initial carb adjustment settings.

Once you have it back together and running, you can tweak things a little using Randy's carb adjustment guide (posted on here somewhere ), or just run with the factory settings.

If you prefer to remove and send your carbs out for servicing, contact Randy at www.watcon.com
    I think the cost is about $50 per carb, plus parts and shipping both ways.

BTW, they are some other commonly recommended updates and maintenance items for these older Fuji engined Polaris. One is to replace ALL the fuel lines, as they tend to harden and fail with time. Be sure to check the fuel lines inside the fuel tank.

Another is the triple outlet fuel pump, when ensures adequate fuel flow at full power. The stock pumps tend to age and reduce peak fuel flow, sometimes enough that one of the pistons burns a hole right through from lean burn. Triple fuel pump is cheap, and easy to install if you are also changing the fuel lines anyway.
    Last edited by K447; 07-24-2008 at 01:14 PM.

What type and where would be a good place to order the fuel pump. I am going to replace all the lines and pump like ya said. Start from there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperPilot08 View Post
    What type and where would be a good place to order the fuel pump.
    I am going to replace all the lines and pump like ya said. Start from there.
    That's the spirit!

John Zigler has lots of parts, including the triple outlet fuel pump (which was standard on the Polaris 780 Fuji engine).

I just read his info off a different post. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information