virage 2002 800i injector problem

I have a 2002 Polaris Virage I 800. IT died on the lake and would not restart. While diagnosing I was checking voltage to the injectors the unit started when I had the forward injector unplugged. It would run on the rear cylinder. As soon as you plug in the front injector it dies. It is in a shop now where they tried replacing the injector an it did the same thing. They now want to replace the main computer for 1200.00 and I am not certain I want to make the investment. Have you ever heard of this before? and know of any other options than computer replacement?

+1
    Check the resistance of the two injectors (need service manual from this site)and see if they are the same .If they are swap them over .This is for diagnosis only .See if the engine behaves the same or the other injector is causing issues when you swap it .Dont forget which one goes where (mark it).It is important that they stay the same position when your diagnosis is over .Download the service manual for values .You will need a multimeter .Let us know how you go .

Bernie

The dealer tried putting a new lnjector in same spot and it did the same thing. I will try swtiching them myself over the weekend.

Thanks

Bernie,

OK tried that does same, will run on back injector if front one is unplugged. Will not run if back is unplugged and front is plugged in. Same when I swap injecors.

Voltage steps up to 27 volts on both when cranking

Mechanic who worked on it before said noid light was solid on front and flashes on back one.

Checked Stator per service manual all pins had proper voltage and none were grounded.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Dave

+1
    Dave ,Take the leads off the injectors .Check with multimeter the wires and see if both have the same values .If they dont have the same values remove the emm and check the pins that are relevant to the injectors .Check the wires in the harness for continuity from the plugs to the injectors .If they check out .remove the cover off the emm .There is gell under the cover, don't be scared .You may see a burn mark there or corrosion .If you get stumped then Look up DFI technologies and send your EMM to them.They will test it at no cost (I am told) if it is Ok .You pay freight only ,unless it needs repair .I don't know of any one else whom can help you
    Oh and when you remove the EMM you will find out why people enjoy working on polaris .Careful not to cut your hands on the sharp edges of the brackets

Bernie
    Last edited by Bernie; 07-26-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: More info added

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Definate fried component in center of EMM. I will send it out Monday

On anothe issue is the water solinoid on these a neccissity? I have replaced mine twice and it gets plugged up all the time. I am on a very weedy lake.

Thanks for your help

Dave

PS Yes I totaly understand the Poaris issue, now I know why the machanic who had it seamed over joyed to give it back to me.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dfitz View Post
    Is the water solenoid on these a necessity?
    I have replaced mine twice and it gets plugged up all the time. I am on a very weedy lake...
    Install a water filter in-line with the cooling water feed hose from the jet pump. Keeps all the sand and grit out of the engine and cooling system.

Get one with a clear bowl, so you can check it easily.

+1
    Remove water solenoid and cut wires off solenoid .then raise right (or left ) hand to beyond the rear of your shoulder ,with solenoid in hand move arm forward quickly and release solenoid at full extension .
    Plug hole with 1/4 bsp stainless plug and plug line to solenoid .Remove the wires from the connector and use dialectric grease to seal it from the elements .It is not needed at all .Only for pollution issues .I myself would not put a filter in the system .There is a gauze filter at the jet unit and it is sufficient .

Cheers

Bernie

Bernie,

Thanks for your help. DF Tech had the EMM unit back to me in 4 days. Works like a champ. I saved big $.

Thread Information