Is the Pirhana motor mount easy to install?

Just got my motormount in the mail today and am bringing it up to the cabin to put it in.

Since I dont have the ski to look at until I get there, is there any specialty tools I will need to swap out these motor mounts? Normally I would just open the ski up and look down and see what I need to use but the ski is 140 miles away at the lake cabin.

Looking at the mount it looks pretty straight forward, but are there any specialty tools I will need?

What size sockets/open ended wrenches do I need to bring up there with me?

I remember on a post long ago, that there are some spacers that I need to reuse etc.

Someone school me here.

Anyone?,,,,,,,,,,,,anyone?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bueller, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bueller?,,,,,,,anyone?

+1
    You just need a 6mm allen key or a 6mm allen key on a ratchet with a extension might be easier. Just undo all three bolts and get somone to lift the front of the motor while you slide the piranha parts mount in to the same postition. There will be a couple of shims under your stock mount and you must leave them in place. Try to not move the motor much as you could put the alignment out. Put the middle bolt in fist and tighten the bolt up and then do the two outer bolts that bolt the mount down to the hull.

Dont forget to use Loctite and these can vibrate loose.

Hey Rick, I appreciate you responding.

I am glad I asked, as I would not have had either the loctite or the 6mm allen with me up at the cabin.

Thanks again!!

+1
    Jeff,
    Definatly make sure the shims stay in place,you dont want to throw off your engine alighnment..Also like Rick said a little loctite wont hurt..After you give it a good hard run recheck the mount to make sure it stayed tight...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rick xp View Post
    You just need a 6mm allen key or a 6mm allen key on a ratchet with a extension might be easier. Just undo all three bolts and get somone to lift the front of the motor while you slide the piranha parts mount in to the same postition. There will be a couple of shims under your stock mount and you must leave them in place. Try to not move the motor much as you could put the alignment out. Put the middle bolt in fist and tighten the bolt up and then do the two outer bolts that bolt the mount down to the hull.

Dont forget to use Loctite and these can vibrate loose.

If you can't find a helper, I used a piece of 2x4 to lay across the hull, and used a rachet strap to lift the motor.

i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    If you can't find a helper, I used a piece of 2x4 to lay across the hull, and used a rachet strap to lift the motor.
    there you go.

What I did was to put a piece of rope on the front engine lift ring and wrap the rope around a crowbar that spans the engine compartment. Then twisted the crowbar so the rope went around the crow bar and the engine lifted up and stayed there.........

One of the alen bolts (The starboard one) can be a real biotch to get to, even with extensions on the ratchet. It is difficult to get the screw started using your fingers.......

Oh, and it would have been alot easier to do this if I took the seat cowling off right away!

There is a bit more vibration in the handlebars than before, but barely noticable.

Not a tough thing to do, but I am glad I had my nephew there for his smaller hands to get that starboard bolt started..........

We shall see if this helps with the flex of the engine and that relationship to propeller diameter erosion when using a stainless wear ring

Thread Information