Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Silicone coupler for the exhaust?

I'm putting in the Riva thru-hull in my boat, and need a 45 degree bend, right at the end between the pipe and thru-hull fitting. First problem is I can't find a 2 5/8" coupler that the Riva supplied ones seem to be, so it looks like I'll have to settle for 2 6/8". Is the exhaust cool enough at the point of the thru hull fitting to use this?:
    http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...a4dcafb273c05f

I think it will burn, like mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104 005.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	84917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104 006.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	84918  

Where was that in your exhaust? Doesn't look like the reinforced type of silicone. What's your replacement going to be? I'm thinking that where I need it will be in constant contact with the water. How hot can the exhaust be after the waterbox anyway? The couplers I'm finding are rated 350 up to 500 degrees.

+1
    It only has to be good for 90-100 deg is your cooling system is working properly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Where was that in your exhaust? Doesn't look like the reinforced type of silicone. What's your replacement going to be? I'm thinking that where I need it will be in constant contact with the water. How hot can the exhaust be after the waterbox anyway? The couplers I'm finding are rated 350 up to 500 degrees.
    i think elbcheker did'nt have enough water thru the exhaust to do that to that rubber

I'm putting in the Riva thru-hull in my boat, and need a 45 degree bend, right at the end between the pipe and thru-hull fitting. First problem is I can't find a 2 5/8" coupler that the Riva supplied ones seem to be, so it looks like I'll have to settle for 2 6/8". Is the exhaust cool enough at the point of the thru hull fitting to use this?:
    You should try West Marine. Look for their exhuast hoses for boats and marine clamps. They are make to hold over 100 degrees...

Yes, it will handle the temp. At that point in the exhaust flow there is plenty of water keeping things cool. If it burns up then you have a problem with water flow from the Jpipe, like blocked jpipe holes, etc.
    Oh, are you sure you could not use a "hump hose" coupling. They will bend some and might have better choice of sizes...siliconeintakes.com also has those.

using a coupler that will not fail as long as theres water cooling sounds just as intelligent as using a plastic exhaust pipe. Sure you could use it but why take the risk. buy a qaulity multilayer high temp silicone coupler and be done with it.

+1
    I had a rubber exhaust hose fail,but it was up by the j pipe on my 03(free flow exhaust).....it lasted about 120 hrs before it finally blew out though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information