Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy HELP! 2002 Yamaha XLT 1200

I just became the proud owner of a 2002 Yamaha XLT 1200. This ski is in almost new condition, it only has 72 hours on it. i BOUGHT IT FROM A LONG TIME FRIEND.

It is very slow getting out of the hole, it tops out at around 45-50 mph. I am looking for any suggestions to help alleviate the slow take off. I am also looking for minor performance improvements.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What kind of history does it have? Has it been sitting for a while? If so, it will most certainly need the carbs rebuilt. BTW is that 45-50 by GPS or the speedo?

45mph is kinda slow and might indicate something is a miss.... 50 is still a bit on the slow side, but more reasonable with full fuel and a HOT day

When you say very slow getting out of the hole, does it do it every time, or just when you've been idling for a few seconds+?

The -FIRST- thing you need to buy/install is Waveeater clips and couplers.
    http://www.waveeaterproducts.com/

This is a very easy install and will keep your Power Valves from dropping into your cyl = boom. $100

The second thing is a D-plate and chip. ~$100. The Catcon will fail eventually and it's easier/better to just remove it before it does.

Ok... so... $200 and what kind of performance improvements does that give you? well... none... heh But they will help keep the ski running.

DO THOSE FIRST... I know you want to go faster, but those are a must.

After that, You can get a Pump Plug kit (will help with cavitation on takeoff), an Intake grate, Impeller, Ride Plate, Sponsons, etc. All of those are easy installs, especially after doing the D-plate

If they've never been rebuilt, it might be time to do the carbs too. Maybe, maybe not. You will probably be ok for the rest of this season and do them during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by roost5o View Post
    What kind of history does it have? Has it been sitting for a while? If so, it will most certainly need the carbs rebuilt. BTW is that 45-50 by GPS or the speedo?
    It has been sitting for about a year and a half. I have taken it out three times. Everything seems to be functioning OK! It is just slow out of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    45mph is kinda slow and might indicate something is a miss.... 50 is still a bit on the slow side, but more reasonable with full fuel and a HOT day

When you say very slow getting out of the hole, does it do it every time, or just when you've been idling for a few seconds+?

The -FIRST- thing you need to buy/install is Waveeater clips and couplers.
    http://www.waveeaterproducts.com/

This is a very easy install and will keep your Power Valves from dropping into your cyl = boom. $100

The second thing is a D-plate and chip. ~$100. The Catcon will fail eventually and it's easier/better to just remove it before it does.

Ok... so... $200 and what kind of performance improvements does that give you? well... none... heh But they will help keep the ski running.

DO THOSE FIRST... I know you want to go faster, but those are a must.

After that, You can get a Pump Plug kit (will help with cavitation on takeoff), an Intake grate, Impeller, Ride Plate, Sponsons, etc. All of those are easy installs, especially after doing the D-plate

If they've never been rebuilt, it might be time to do the carbs too. Maybe, maybe not. You will probably be ok for the rest of this season and do them during the winter.
    It was on a hot day and a full tank of gas. I also weight a slim 290 lbs. As for getting out of the hole, it is all of the time. Even when a light weighted rider onboard. It idles and runs just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by crudo View Post
    It has been sitting for about a year and a half. I have taken it out three times. Everything seems to be functioning OK! It is just slow out of the hole.
    I KNOW that I will not be the first to tell you to REBUILD those carbs. The carbs are a MUCH easier fix than rebuilding the motor.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

I KNOW that I will not be the first to tell you to REBUILD those carbs. The carbs are a MUCH easier fix than rebuilding the motor.
    Thanks for the info, I will get the carbs taken care of. I was also thinking of the cavitation problems that are associated with this type of ski's.

I was also thinking of installing a new grate?

Quote Originally Posted by crudo View Post
    Thanks for the info, I will get the carbs taken care of. I was also thinking of the cavitation problems that are associated with this type of ski's.

I was also thinking of installing a new grate?
    After being on this forum for a while...yeah an intake grate is a given along with a rideplate and a pump seal kit and an impeller...etc...

Mine cavitates right now but I have the ESSENTIALS coming

After being on this forum for a while...yeah an intake grate is a given along with a rideplate and a pump seal kit and an impeller...etc...

Mine cavitates right now but I have the ESSENTIALS coming
    I guess I'll will just have to order the parts and install them. This is the first ski that I own. I have owned motorcycles and atv's before just never a ski. Everything I own I have altered with aftermarket parts. I guess a ski is not much different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information