Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Installed 07 RR Racing 8600 ECU on my RXP-X interesting results!

I put a Rotax Racing 8600 ECU on my basically stock rxpx today! Only mods are 4" intake and r&d grate. Funny thing is it wont go over say 8160. I gets there quicker, and gains a solid 3mph top end, but any idea why it wont wind up to 8600?? It maxed out at about 8060 on the oem ECU. Think I my be propped out? it's the oem prop which ive heard is like a 15/26 bent up tp 26 only on the trailing edge... running stock 42 P-X injectors. think i should put the 50's on? no way im out of fuel? I need an 02 bung I know.... guess the oem prop is tuned to load up around 8100. anyone have any suggestions? I have a 15/22r and a reduction nozzle I just need to install them. already have riva valve train on the P-X. stock Xcharger.

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1
    I say throw the 15/22 in there and give it hell. Revving that high though, I'd want to keep tabs on the A/F Mix.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxxed View Post
    I say throw the 15/22 in there and give it hell. Revving that high though, I'd want to keep tabs on the A/F Mix.
    It will spin off the bottom and the ecu will run too rich and be a little piggy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boostaholic View Post
    I put a Rotax Racing 8600 ECU on my basically stock rxpx today! Only mods are 4" intake and r&d grate. Funny thing is it wont go over say 8160. I gets there quicker, and gains a solid 3mph top end, but any idea why it wont wind up to 8600?? It maxed out at about 8060 on the oem ECU. Think I my be propped out? it's the oem prop which ive heard is like a 15/26 bent up tp 26 only on the trailing edge... running stock 42 P-X injectors. think i should put the 50's on? no way im out of fuel? I need an 02 bung I know.... guess the oem prop is tuned to load up around 8100. anyone have any suggestions? I have a 15/22r and a reduction nozzle I just need to install them. already have riva valve train on the P-X. stock Xcharger.
    The same thing happened to me when I installed my Rotax ECU, I could only spin 8100 rpms. You have to take pitch out of your prop or just try a 15/22.

What size injectors?

Doesnt look like I'm going to be able to get an 02 bung in there till next week sometime. So what are your recomendations on injector size? Should I leave the 42's or put a set of 50's I have on it?

I looked over the speed database at others setups, but couldnt find anyone running an RR ecu with thise boost. this should be slightly better than a Riva S3 right? and I see people running 42's with that setup. I may just throw the 50's on and if it doesnt hurt performance, just leave them on to be safe?

I'm seeing about 10.5 psi, and im about to pull the filter out of the intake manifold, and redo my 4" intake, so I shoudl be seeing close to 11psi+ I'll be adding the 15/22, RR 160 thermo, and probably leaving the stock nozzle, may add the reducation nozzle. So that should alleviate some of my RPM issues.

Anyone know what size the exit is on the reducation nozzle with no ring in it? (Guess I could just measure it)

Banned User
    +1
    Before you run any higher than 8200...please shim your valves. If you don't, you run a big risk of hurting the valve train.

Your the first I've heard of running the racing ECU on an X boat. I'm really interested to see your results, but I think you might need the lightened valve train, different injectors, and a RRFPR.

Can you post some before and after mph numbers??

Edit; just noticed you have the Riva valve train.....good call. Have you installed yet??

Yeah, I have the Riva springs and retainers on there already with one shim washer on each spring. (that installation tool is the best thing since sliced bread!!) I have lightened valves, but dont want to pull the head yet. So I should be good to 8400-8500. So Ive got the RPM issues handled.

The only thing Im worried about is the fueling, since the RR ecu has NO instructions or manual ANYWHERE. I'd love to know how the map is setup. Does it set the injectors static open at ~10psi like the OEM ecu does? Since its made for an 07 215 RXP with 38lb injectors it might, but isnt it a racing ECU? wouldnt it be expected to preform in a highly modified ski w/ 10+ psi of boost??

Banned User
    +1
    You gotta love Rotax and there ECU. Its the first ECU I've ever seen that doesn't tell you schit. The only way to properly set the whole thing up is to get/borrow and AFR gauge. You might also wanna get/borrow one of those R&D powershot things so you could play with adding fuel.

As far as injectors/pressure, I have no clue. Your the test pilot on this one. I'm thinking of just getting the Pro series ECU....not as aggressive as the Racing series, and the rpm limit is close to the same. I only wanna shim my valves, don't wanna go with the lightened valve train.

So, to answer your question; I don't know. But I hope you'll let the rest of us know when you get it dialed in.

You definately need to repitch your prop though.

Guess I'm on my own then, charting new territory, thats cool.

I have a wideband 02 meter, just haven't taken the exhaust out of the PX yet to add a bung. I'm pretty sure the 42's will be fine for the moment. If the new prop gets it winding up to 8500ish im going to put on the 50's just to be safe. I was hoping someone had already tried this, but thats cool. I'll pull out the 02 meter and report back. I have one of those powershot tuners also, but its for an 05 model, don't think it will work with the P-X, but I was told I can send it in for a reflash for free(or very small fee, forget which) may have to do that.

+1
    There is very little information around about the Rotax Racing products, everything that I have purchased is just the product in the box. Would be nice to get basic info with the parts with the prices they charge for them.

Jerry has been able to walk me thru most items, just seems like RR would include something with the product for the premium $$$$ spent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information